portal axle conversion

aigars

Is this the same bloke who makes the 8274 twin motor winch top that closely resembles a better known one made by Gigglepin?

Shame if it is that he felt the need to do as he did.

obviously he is able to design his own things it would seem.

Oilman the vehicle sits well and looks nice.

Tony, what can I say..... :( he actually is.... :unsure: :unsure: :( Sorry....

I will stay out off any winch business for a while even though I actually need at least one new one for the front...I hope I wont get stuck anytime soon and as I am driving this rig over to the UK soon for some further work at different shops, maybe I´ll visit the Gigglepin shop, too....we´ll see.....

For now I am enjoy the fact that I have finally got portals on one of my Defenders :)

That's an imposing-looking truck. I neither love nor hate the wheels, but must say that they make it look purposeful. The only thing that I'd add is that after all the effort to get that much clearance, you should fit something like the Southdown tank guard/two point to stop the hitch digging ditches.

How do you find those tyres on the road? They certainly look good on it.

Nice to see portals on something that has to work for it's living, as opposed to just playing. I look forward to hearing how it runs with them on.

Nice to see portals on something that has to work for it's living, as opposed to just playing. I look forward to hearing how it runs with them on.

As opposed to Unimogs, C303's, Pinzgauers, Hummers, etc. which don't work for a living? :huh: My truck has done over 10k heavily laden / towing and relatively little playing since it was built.

Well FridgeFreezer, I guess most people just think that portals are yust for "playing"...hardly anyone expects them to be "daily drivers" :unsure:

@Heath: I am currently looking for a nice tank and underbody protection and that hitch is not there to stay. It´ll find it´s place in the garage together with a lot of other things ;)

Fridge, yours is the exception to the rule, in more ways than just it's use. I should have said Land Rovers, as opposed to "something". Most of the land rovers that I've seen with them are

A). Swb,

B). Built to compete,

C). Blueish. <_<

You have to admit that there's nothing else that looks much like either of you two's trucks.

I've never really been one for competition. I like the idea, but my 110 has to do too many other things to be that kind of truck, and I can hardly afford the one, let alone a second as a dedicated toy, more's the pity. I've always felt that the lwb looked better, and for everything except agility, was a better choice. But that's just my personal preference I'll hastily add, not a throwing down of any kind of gauntlet to the 90-owning members. :ph34r:

Oilworker, I've just bought the Southdown guard/tow point, on the recommendation of many on here and elsewhere. By all accounts, it improves departure angle dramatically, gives really good protection, and is simple to attach/remove the towing gubbins.

• 3 months later...

Well,

its´done, fitted and being driven....and it´s great fun, too.

Some things will be changed (like trailing arms) but other than that....we´ll see.

Oh, no audible noise from the straight cut gears and even after long motorway driving at 70+mph the boxes don´t really get hot.

So long,

Robert

post-5005-127704612324_thumb.jpg

post-5005-12770461643_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I think it's amazing how a bunch of really switched on technical guys like you lot are can get so hung up on how the wheels look when there's so much else going on with that vehicle. Being around military vehicles so often they just look normal to me and don't really draw a second glance from my perspective. They actually look odd to me only by virtue of not having an obvious CTIS line.
The portal offset looks like the rear diff hangs below the axle centre line, maybe something to do with the axle case strength?
The trailing arms look awfully standard, I hope they're not.

It's Finish with a French made dash or what?
Cooker / sink thing is awesome.

I like the grille too.

I think the issue with hutchinson wheels is mainly that they cost a fortune and weigh a ton, before you realise they are a bit vissually challenged.

The portal conversion only allows 35" tyres to be used, and still don't last. That said, it is a good looking truck!

Daan