Fuel gauge help

Hey guys,

Wonder if someone can help me out in what I need to do to get my fuel gauge working with a td5 tank with a discovery v8 in tank pump & sender unit. The gauge works in that it just goes from empty to full and then drops down with the ignition off. I am sure the sender works as it is new but never know, I have put 20 litres of fuel in tank which I think is roughly a third if not slightly less in a td5 tank. The original gauge is from a 200tdi so I am assuming that these aren't compatible. Would a nas 90 gauge work if I can find one or another v8 gauge from a different defender?

Ps I have searched, using google and The forum search and dare I even say ventured over to landyzone to try and find a explanation.

Thanks

Tom

Sorry western I am using a disco v8 in tank pump/sender with a 200tdi gauge in a td5 tank. I've already seen stucks posts about his troubles off getting a rrc sender to work in a td5 tanks with a td5 guage which I don't think he has solved either yet. I know the solutions would be a vdo gauge and sender with pick up and return, with a low pressure pump and a surge/swirl tank. coupled to a high pressure fuel pump and regulator. But that is a expensive and uneccasry for what I need so hoping I can get something to work with out having to go that route.

Thanks

Tom

Can you measure the resistance of the sender when tank is full/empty/part-full? You don't have to actually fill tank etc if you can get the sender out and move it by hand. I have a 'normal' defender sender kicking about (for a 90 side tank) and I could measure the resistance of it and then we'll know what's wrong....... possibly

Cwazywabbit, thanks for you offer, I've already had it out tonight and moved it up and down and made sure I was getting variable resistance but didn't take notes, as it's a 20 minute job, I will take it out tomorrow and measure it again and record it, I will try and do empty, half and full. Would be interesting to compare and see what I wrong. If the resistance is wrong could I solder a resistor in line to alter it and make it get similar to what the original unit was

Thanks

Tom

Soldering a resistor inline will just offset the reading, so whilst it might be right at one end of the scale it'll be rubbish at the other.

Mine reads

Empty 303 ohms

Half full ish 120 ohms

Full is between 13 ohms and 30 ohms ( bit of corrosion on the connector so I'd go with the 13 ohms)

cheers, for that, theres no point me posting up mine as they where close give or take a few ohms, but you have got to love britpart quallity stuff, turns out when i plug the conector in the top it made contact with the earth making it read full all the time by shorting it out, modified plug and all is good :)