TD5 Engines

vinny

Are all td5 engines the same?Disco.defender

The reason I ask is ive blown the engine in my 04 discovery!! head,conrods the lot :( Its has high milage so looking to fit a lower milage unit!! I can get my hands on an 03 defender engine with 25000 miles or an 03 disco engine with 45000 miles... Will the defender engine fit?

Cheers folks

Coming from a 2003 defender, it should fit without any problem: all the EGR stuff will be the same as every euro 3 Td5 (exhaust gas cooler in front of engine, ILT throttle added to EGR mushroom valve); the only thing you'll have to add, if you wish to retain those handful of HP's disco Td5'e have adove their defender brothers, is the wastegate modulator, controlled by the ECU so as to give a slight overboost.

Td5's in defender do not have this hardware, quite simple to fit; you can just swap the pieces from your old engine (modulator, hoses, connectors).

Bummer Vinny :(

Below is 2nd hand info I got got while playing with TD5 fuel maps lately.

The ECUs are different. Not in its self a problem but I think there's a problem if you use a defender dash with a disco ECU, as in some of it doesn't work. (temp gauge?). Don't know about the other way around.

If the defender ECU is flashable, then I suppose you could reflash it as a disco ECU.

If you go for the Defender engine...

The base engine is the same....

But there are a few differences with the ancilleries, however these can be swapped over from you 'old' Discovery engine... included in this the waste gate modulator (as mentioned).

ECU wise, you can just keep your existing ECU and just have the injector codes changed to suit the ones in the new engine.

The only time you would have to play around (a bit) with ECU's is if the engine was a pre 2002.

Depending where you are I can change injector codes etc etc if needed

- although I've just noticed your in Ireland, so not that local - but I will actually be in Laytown/Bettystown, Southern Ireland later this month (not knowing Ireland at all, not sure how far away this is from you)

Ian

Cheers lads

Defender engine it is!! If I number the disco injectors as they come out and replace in the same order in the new head will I still need to get them programmed?

Ill stick with all the disco ancilleries.. (keep life simple) :hysterical:

- although I've just noticed your in Ireland, so not that local - but I will actually be in Laytown/Bettystown, Southern Ireland later this month (not knowing Ireland at all, not sure how far away this is from you)

Ian

George comming home then :lol:

Cheers lads

Defender engine it is!! If I number the disco injectors as they come out and replace in the same order in the new head will I still need to get them programmed?

Ill stick with all the disco ancilleries.. (keep life simple) :hysterical:

Yes...

But personnally I'd keep the Disco ones as a spare, and just reprogramme the ECU... 5 minutes to reprogramme the ECU. Or a few hours trying to get a stuck injector out!!

George comming home then :lol:

Nope... still away AFAIK.

Is a sweetner to keep the girlfriend happy - knew I was going to lose out when George metioned his aunt and uncle had some cottages and sent the web link!!

Ian

Anybody with a Nanocom and 5 minutes' spare time can reprogram the ECU with the proper injector codes; you'll have to remive the rocker cover to read the codes from the injector themselves.

Both engines being euro3, you'll have no problem in the swap, just add the wastegate modulator and related piping, all stuff that you can save from the dead engine.

• 1 month later...
Nope... still away AFAIK.

Is a sweetner to keep the girlfriend happy - knew I was going to lose out when George metioned his aunt and uncle had some cottages and sent the web link!!

Ian

Dirty bast :lol: I hope that was tongue in cheek, and as for the 'AFAIK' comment you're right, I was actually there stalking you. You make a handsome couple but I'm still going to steal her away from you, or maybe I'll steal you away from her, you never know lol. Hope you don't really feel hard done by, if you do - lets talk!

How'd you get on anyway?

EDIT : Any self respecting man knows the sex equation - weekend away + romantic location = girlfriends happiness

girlfriends happiness + wine x 2 = sex :D

I'm sh1te at math