Removing pins from an electrical connector

Hi, I'm hoping one of you super awesome Landrover Godz could assist me. I'm trying to repair a broken wire to the fuel shutoff solenoid. The wire has hardened over time and broken inside the insulation. I have a new wire and have opened the plug.

IMG 4344

This is it from the front

IMG 4345

from the side

IMG 4347

from the back.
Does anyone know how to remove the pins from this connector. I'm hoping it doesn't require a special tool.
Thanking you in advance.

There's a small tab near the base of the pin that prevents it from coming back out (in the direction of the wire). You have to press the tab flat while pushing the pin out (in the direction of the wire).

If you have a new pin, then you'll see what I mean.

Les.

Hi, I just had a similar problem on my car. Spent ages trying to work it out. I don't know if this will help but to remove the wire as mentioned by Les the sprung metal clips need to be pushed in. I used a paper clip shaped to fit either side and pushed it in to what on your connector is the yellow block and then pulled the wire out the other side where it would enter the connector block.

I think this makes sense. Not sure how to add photos but when I work that out I'll add some.

Hi, I'm hoping one of you super awesome Landrover Godz could assist me. I'm trying to repair a broken wire to the fuel shutoff solenoid. The wire has hardened over time and broken inside the insulation. I have a new wire and have opened the plug.

This is it from the front
from the side
from the back.
Does anyone know how to remove the pins from this connector. I'm hoping it doesn't require a special tool.
Thanking you in advance.

That's a 13-way male Econoseal connector.

First thing you have to do is remove the terminal lock (the Yellow plastic bit) -

ESC13M-400.jpg

The terminal has no locking tab -

3-4587-195.jpg

With the terminal lock removed, you need to lift the connector housing's terminal retainer (tang) from above the terminal you want to release.

It looks like this on a female housing -

8ea87163-5b6d-487c-82cd-86b3022893d2.jpg

This animated cross-section shows what you are trying to achieve -

MultiLockAnimation.gif

There are special tools to do this - but, a safety pin works just as well.

• Like 2

Thank you all for you replies. They were all very helpful and appreciated. The winner is, however, Paul MC. That was spot on, Mate! I would never have known to pull the yellow bit out. The minute i did, it was easy to see the tab to be lifted. Well done!