stiff gears

cerenko

Has something gone wrong since you got it or do you just think the gears are stiff in comparison to whatever you used to drive?

Just wondering if there is a fault or whether it is "just a 4x4 gearbox" ... though the Getrag box in the Td4 is not what I would call stiff, it probably is heavier than most modern cars.

Hi, Can enyone please help.

I have just purcased a 03 freelander td4, great to drive apart from the fact that the gears are very stiff, they never miss or make a noise but dont half make your arm ache after a while, any ideas.

cheers.

CERENKO

I would imagine it would be the linkage needing lubrication giving you a difficult gearchange as cold or thick oil slows the gears up making it difficult to change for a mile or so till the oil has warmed up a bit then the problem goes, try some penetrating fluid on the joints first

CERENKO

I would imagine it would be the linkage needing lubrication giving you a difficult gearchange as cold or thick oil slows the gears up making it difficult to change for a mile or so till the oil has warmed up a bit then the problem goes, try some penetrating fluid on the joints first

It is better when the car is cold? . the gears change great when the engine is not running, when it is running i have no problem getting them in but it is very stiff to the point of makeing ones arm hurt after a few miles of changing

Changing the gear box oil on wednesday so that my make the difference.

It is better when the car is cold? . the gears change great when the engine is not running, when it is running i have no problem getting them in but it is very stiff to the point of makeing ones arm hurt after a few miles of changing

Changing the gear box oil on wednesday so that my make the difference.

Just changed the gear box oil today, feels like new. problem solved. ;)