TD5 door electric window to manual conversion

IanT90

Just spotted a N/S door on Ebay off a TD5 no picture as yet but from description sounds okay complete and no rust.

I have a manual window operation on my TDI (and I am sticking that way, the less electrics to go wrong the better), this replacement door however has an electric window setup.

Question is (ignoring the door card which I will replace that anyway), is it a straight forward conversion back to a manual winder. I already have the manual winding setup on my existing door that I could use ?

Not long ago I got a reasonable replacement door for my O/S and have bought a new inner door panel which allows either to be used (previous idiot, sorry owner welded the inner panel the the outer frame while doing a repair badly I might add).

So in the process of getting new parts to rebuild the O/S door while salvaging the best from my existing door. Point is if the inner panel is universal now accepting both manual and electric surely it should be straight forward ?

Just thought I would ask for advice first.

Second question is how the hell does the window channel fit, or to put it another way how is it secured in place along with the glass channels/seal that the glass fits in ?

My old 2A window seals where secured with small flat head screws, but can not fathom out how these are held in ?

Any advice or links much appreciated.

I'd imagine the regulator assembly will just be a bolt in affair...just swap one for the other. I stripped and rebuilt the td5 doors for mine but kept the electrics. The channels are held in to the frame assembly by small countersunk Philips head screws, it's a case of running the screwdriver along the channel to find them and praying they unscrew. Out of both doors only one of mine sheared but was easily removed with vice grips once the channels were removed. Be careful with the plastic fillet and corner pieces as they can be brittle and break easily.

Hope that helps