V8 Exhaust

Eventually i will get a custom system made up, but for now im just looking for a cheap-as-possible bolt together solution.

Im currently using the disco twin port cast manifolds. Ive heard some folks saying that you can use the standard disco down-pipes/Y piece mated to a TD5 system.

Would part number ESR225 suffice?

Also, will i be able to retain the defender gearbox cross-member, or will i need to get a hold of one from a disco?

I've got the same manifolds on my 110 , I THINK that the downpipes and y piece are RR Classic parts, this lot joins up (well it will when I get round to it) to a SS sports system with a bit of tweeking. If I can find the receipt I'll send you the part numbers, but that may take some time. The thing I remember from fitting the downpipes was that they were a very close fit to the chassis and the y piece was a bugger and a half

I have on my 90 EFI manifolds to which is bolted a range rover 3.9 EFI set of downpipes (I expect Discovery ones are the same) which is then bolted to the TD5 center silencer and then the TD5 back pipe. Fits a treat, but you will need a Range rover tubular style center crossmember fitted as the efi downpipes hit the normal landy crossmember. You will have to adapt/modify the exhaust hangers, but is a simple job. I did send some photos of my set up to someone on here a while ago, but cannot remember who. Can do the same if you want? It is a nice relatively free flowing exhaust that has a nice burble and is quiet when on the road.

Toby

I have on my 90 EFI manifolds to which is bolted a range rover 3.9 EFI set of downpipes (I expect Discovery ones are the same) which is then bolted to the TD5 center silencer and then the TD5 back pipe. Fits a treat, but you will need a Range rover tubular style center crossmember fitted as the efi downpipes hit the normal landy crossmember. You will have to adapt/modify the exhaust hangers, but is a simple job. I did send some photos of my set up to someone on here a while ago, but cannot remember who. Can do the same if you want? It is a nice relatively free flowing exhaust that has a nice burble and is quiet when on the road.

Toby

That was me, I've probably still got them, ill have a look

Ahh now i see why you would need the tubular cross-member... :)

Yep I think if you modified the downpipes you could get them too fit with the old cross,ember. Would also add the crossmember I bought, disco I think, wasn't a bolt in replacement for the other

What needed doing to the tubular crossmember in order to make it fit?

It's a little hard to explain but, basically the hole spacing for the chassis bolts were too close together vertically. So I ended up welding some new plates to the crossmember, the other option was too drill new holes through the chassis

Infinity exhausts made me a mani-back system tuned to my taste for £££s less than an aftermarket standard system, never mind an oem. Give them a call and see what they can do sounds a-bloody-mazing! Burbly at idle, quiet at cruise and "WTF!!!!" under hard acceleration!!

• 3 years later...

Funny that this old thread resurfaces now..... I only ordered the y-piece recently after my build having ground to a standstill for a while.

I will report back skauldy.

Currently the 110 is sitting with the td5 transmission crossmember still in place, but I do now have a tubular v8 one ready to fit if need be.

My parts list (for a 110 with cast RRC / Disco Manifolds):

Disco cranked crossmember. As said above it needed the plates extending to line up with the 110 crossmember mounts...

Front downpipes and Y pipe assembly - V8 3.9 EFI non catalyst auto from GA399973 (not CSK model) SKU: NTC7320

Manifold gasket (needs 2) SKU: ETC4524

For the exhaust brackets I used the below - however mine was a 3.5 v8 originally so had the old fashioned exhaust mounts, not hangars and rubbers so may not be needed...

This fitted to the rear with very little modification:

Rear Bracket Exhaust SKU: ESR3294

For the front bracket we used:

http://www.yrm-metal-solutions.co.uk/epages/BT4822.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT4822/Products/016B

It needed a 90 degree bend put in the hangar to line up with the exhaust bracket. We didn't bother with the middle hangar.

Exhaust rubbers we used 2 of: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271975628224

For the exhaust rear section, we used a take off Puma / TD5 LR original rear section which came cheap from ebay. Looking at the weight / quality of it compared to the blue box front pipes it was a good choice - the main pipes looked to be stainless and it is very very solid, and not that different in price to a pattern part..

They came from here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272149453603

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281948390179

We also added a couple of o2 sensor bungs on the pipe in front of the mid silencer, one for the LPG kit the other for the megasquirt o2 sensor...

Thanks Jon. Very helpful indeed.

Btw I got the roll cage all cleaned up and powder coated. Still to fit it mind..... Lol

Edit: Was there any reason you didn't use ESR225 that comes with down pipes and y-piece??

My parts list (for a 110 with cast RRC / Disco Manifolds):

Disco cranked crossmember. As said above it needed the plates extending to line up with the 110 crossmember mounts...

Front downpipes and Y pipe assembly - V8 3.9 EFI non catalyst auto from GA399973 (not CSK model) SKU: NTC7320

Manifold gasket (needs 2) SKU: ETC4524

For the exhaust brackets I used the below - however mine was a 3.5 v8 originally so had the old fashioned exhaust mounts, not hangars and rubbers so may not be needed...

This fitted to the rear with very little modification:

Rear Bracket Exhaust SKU: ESR3294

For the front bracket we used:

http://www.yrm-metal-solutions.co.uk/epages/BT4822.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT4822/Products/016B

It needed a 90 degree bend put in the hangar to line up with the exhaust bracket. We didn't bother with the middle hangar.

Exhaust rubbers we used 2 of: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271975628224

For the exhaust rear section, we used a take off Puma / TD5 LR original rear section which came cheap from ebay. Looking at the weight / quality of it compared to the blue box front pipes it was a good choice - the main pipes looked to be stainless and it is very very solid, and not that different in price to a pattern part..

They came from here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272149453603

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281948390179

We also added a couple of o2 sensor bungs on the pipe in front of the mid silencer, one for the LPG kit the other for the megasquirt o2 sensor...

These are the exact pipes I used, from the same seller.

The exhaust note is very civilised. If I have time one day I'll make it sound a tad more V8-like. I'm open to suggestions regarding what to use.

One option I have been told of is to replace the Defender centre box with a Disco Td5 rear box, which is apparently a bit larger than the Defender equivalent part.

The exhaust note is very civilised. If I have time one day I'll make it sound a tad more V8-like. I'm open to suggestions regarding what to use.

One option I have been told of is to replace the Defender centre box with a Disco Td5 rear box, which is apparently a bit larger than the Defender equivalent part.

I'd probably chop out the middle silencer and replace it with something a bit smaller from someone like jetex - as long as the pipe diameters are standard then it wouldn't be too hard to do... Either that or take it to powerflow or similar and ask them to do it...

• 2 weeks later...

N4S got my disco 1 V8 crossmember. Which bolt hole remains and which one do I extend. I plan on chopping off the original plate making new ones and welding on. Do I use the bottom holes as my datum or the top holes on the original plate.

We used the top holes as the datum. We had to extend the lower part of the plate down by about 1", and make the spacing the same as the top holes. We welded on extra plate a similar thickness to the original, rather than chopping the whole lot off and starting again.

If you offer up the Disco one against a Def one it should all become obvious...

• Like 1