Diff noise after driveshaft failure / What type of diff is this?

MBE_NZ

Hi there, I recently broke the rear prop shaft / drive shaft on my 95 disco. So I removed the shaft and thought I'd be able to just engage the CDL and drive away using front wheel drive. however the rear wheels were to be fighting against each other and I heard a clunking noise. So I pulled out the right rear half shaft / axle and was able to drive the vehicle home using front wheel drive

I haven't got replacement drive shaft yet, but noted that when I removed the half shaft that it was different to "normal Disco rear axles" I have seen, in that the half shaft isn't part of the hub end - the shaft itself is thicker / wider diameter (I suspect heavy duty) and the hub ends / cap on the rear are metal rather than the rubber caps like on the front hubs.

The diff looks like a standard rover diff (not Salisbury)

anyhow - I want to check out the differential before fitting new drive shaft or replacing axle / half shaft, as I'm concerned over the clunking noise - that I may have damaged the diff too, It does have ARB air locker fitted

I have attached a photo - can anyone please tell me what type of diff this is and also what the bolt is for / what does it do?

thanks in advance

post-40837-0-99018300-1466845175_thumb.jpg

Sounds like you might have MDE half shafts and drive members, the latter machined from a lump of steel in a pentagonal shape at the hub end and a large screw on cap. Interchangeable with standard.

That bolt might be a pegging setup for the crown wheel, but I think it's on the wrong side.

What happened to your rear prop shaft? Based on your report that the rear diff is fighting within itself, I suspect it's that which is the original issue, and your rear prop suffered as a result.

It seems you don't have a disco axel, but one from a RRc as it similar to what was fitted to my 87 RR the filler plug on the prop side, u now have a bolt fitted but original plug would have had a square head and tapered as shown in the RRc parts catalogue.

thank you for responses so far. the "pegging" looks like what the bolt would be for (I couldn't thing of the word) so thanks again

I'm guessing that if the pinion isn't driving the crownwheel (as in no drive shaft) that it would behave like this - IIRC - with rear of vehicle on Jack stands, that if I rotate one road wheel the opposite road wheel rotates in opposite direction.

Thinking that I'll take the diff head out to ensure its all good for peace of mind as concerned that I "May" have possibly damaged some teeth (also want to check out the ARB locker for any markings as considering adding locker to front diff)

I will try an post a picture of the shaft and hub end to confirm if it is RRC style. - definitely thicker stronger looking axles than standard disco ones. I understand may well be interchangeable, but be great to know for sure

thanks