1995 Defender 110 contract "lv2a-123"

Ben Spray

Hi All

Just bought a 110 station wagon that seemed to me to be ex utility or some such use but looking into it the contract number may be military? possibly Royal Navy?

plate states contract lv2a-123 its mid grey inside and under the bonnet but has been repainted a darkish blue externally at some stage, there are traces of red paint on the wings, and various other features such as 4 rivets on each front door in a diamond shaped pattern which I guess would have had a sign of some sort and also tyre pressure markings on the wheel spats, also a split charge system which may or may not be original (national luna with the display panel next to the centre cubby) also traces of various things having been fitted to the dahs with plenty of holes etc and plugged holes on the roof at the rear where it seems to have had 2 worklights on the back.

Any ideas on its possible use etc, like I say I've only just got it but may contact dunsfold/land rover next week to find out where it originally went on the civvy v5 it states first registered 2003 so had 8 years somewhere before that.

Thanks

Ben

looks to be ex-RN explosive disposal to me, they used 110SW with long roofracks to carry an inflatable boat for offshore work. the vehicles used to be RN Dark blue with BD red front wings,

the replacement Defender were in white with hi-vis yellow stripes, but still carried the boat on roofrack, this one shows the diamond haz warning holder on the 2nd side door, I can't find a photo of the old blue/red livery.

http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/others/donx0002.jpg

Thanks Ralph,

Yes it has filled holes in the roof in various places which match that of the roof rack, and has those diamond shaped rivets one each front door.

seems to have HD suspension rather than SW suspension (no ARBs no load leveler) and a 3050kg gvw

best get on with the rust proofing etc looking at what its done in its past then!!

Cheers

Ben

the boat would normally be launched from a slipway or beach, or carried by the crew to the water, as the vehicle would be the only way to get home or to the next job, HD suspension would be standard as all the disposal kit &diving gear & personal kit would be a heavy load.

Cheers :)

As we spoke about its getting new OME springs and dampers soon so will hopefully sort it out.

It is quite rusty in some places and fine still in others, plus side is mechanically it seems pretty spot on (guess it would have been heavily serviced)

Thanks

Ben

Any ideas on the colour code of the blue if it is the correct blue so I can do some touch-ups as and where needed.

Guessing if I was to find the original colour code (vin plate has no colour code listed) it would probably be the mid grey that all the inside panels and under bonnet/bulkhead etc are in and that it was painted once in service.

Cheers

Ben

paint code might be
26 Royal Blue (svo) 1994-94 LRC.26

is it the same blue inside ? if not it maybe RN blue a lot of older navy vehicles were the same dark blue.

for some unknown reason LR never stamped the chassis plate with the paint code even though it has a location for it, my 110 isn't stamped either

Cheers Ralph,

Inside is all mid grey, will try and get a sample of royal blue, looking at it it is metallic - from what I can see of the older vehicles they were a solid colour, seems royal blue may be solid as well not sure?

Thanks

Ben

• 10 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Hey all, I just bought an M reg 110 with the same Contract No. LV2A/123 tag. It’s got the original paint inside and out, which is a light grey. I’d like to know the paint code so I can repaint it, but what I’d really like to know is if it’s an XD Defender with the upgraded chassis and body panels. And, maybe if I could find out what it’s job was, that would be pretty cool as well. 

4 hours ago, western said:

Good post bump ;) thanks for the extra info Western - is there a way to find the military reg number if its unknown?

Cant find anything on that link for this contract number.

Regards

Ben

45 minutes ago, western said:

Normally a plate on drivers end of the front seat base that has all the details on it. 

Thanks Ralph. all I have is the plate in post 4 with the contract details, no military plate like I have on my 101 with the full details of vehicle type and reg etc

Regards

Ben

• 1 month later...

I’ve just bought a 1994 110 300tdi with the same badge riveted to the drivers side seat box (Contract No. LV2A/123). It has not been repainted so the color is original. It does need a respray though. Anyone have any idea about the paint code or name? Slate Grey, maybe?

D6C3531D-88F4-4DF6-AB91-86AFF579B70C.jpeg

B61E616C-ECC0-464E-8C9A-5970E3548C70.jpeg