FREELANDER TD4 AUTO BEEN TOWED WHAT DAMAGE DOES IT DO

siral

Hi everyone knewbie here to the forum.

Over the years i have had a few freebies mainly diesels with no real problems apart from props and just general faults nothing major.

I have just bought my wife a 2006 td4 Auto with a snapped chain on the engine, but, i have just checked the original listing for the vehicle and noticed it has a one man tow on it i never saw it before but now have. I know towing an Auto is a no no unless you take driveshafts and if fitted prop off for towing but think this one has.

The engine i am competant for changing it over but not really sure about if i need to change the Auto box and if i need to the transfer box.

Iv trawelled through the forum which is brill but could not really find anything on changing an auto box on a freelander.

The main questions i have is what damage will towing a Freebie do, and does anyone have any info on swapping an Auto on one of these.

Thanks for any response in advance.

Depends how far and how fast its been towed , If you have the time and patience then sort the engine, and drive it , if you dont have either then unless its a gift , having to sort an engine and the box its not worth bothering just not economical , break for parts and just go and buy one that is a known quantity . JMHO

Hi Tacr2man thanks for the response

I had a rover 75 113bhp till the weekend and got rid of it as was planning on just keeping the tourer but now i have got the freelander wish i kept it as it is 113 engine that is in the freelander sods law. I am currently trying to get a low mileage engine of ebay and was going to fling it in. It was just if it had done auto box as well i thought i would of been better changing that when i was doing the engine. i go the freelander really cheap so spending the extra if needed for the box is still viable. the write up i read for removing the engine the boy removed the auto box as well is there enough room just to take the engine out

thanks

A slightly optimistic view then , if the auto box is a bit dicky , most things can be sorted , eg burnt plates , without taking the box out ,

you jack the vehicle and then lower the engine on a crane and rebuild it under the front wing , I have done so in the past . If there are still probs then you will have to take out the box , but its worth a try JMHO.

hi Tarc2man

Yes i understand this but when i comes to Auto boxes it has always been a bit of a taboo with me as my mechanical skills are moderate at best a manual i would not hesitate opening and seeing if i could fix it but auto's i would not even know what to look for. I managed to get a box for £350 on fleebay so get it next week and am now just trying to find the engine code for the engine so i can order one.

Thanks again for reply