Freelander 1 TD4 severe vibrations under power

zippone

Hello everybody, I'm a new-by and happy to join this forum, I 've been driving this Freelander for over a year fine, and now I'm having heavy vibrations, starting as soon as I shift into second gear and push onto the gas pedal, the more the power traction the more severe the vibrations, with the gear lever shaking from left to right.

I had the propshaft pulled off and a test drive without the propshaft was fine, no vibrations at all.
What could be? My mechanic has no clue at all, he blames the shaft, but everything seems to be ok with the bearings, could be a faulty VCU? Car has quite hi mileage, about 110.000 miles, but is providing good service for the rest.
Thanks to everybody for the help :)

Check the driveshafts to the wheels too, they have 2 CV joints each.

before doing what you suggested, I checked the propshaft CV coupling, which has some play, but not sure if that is normal or not, a probably should compare it with some other, I'll see how I could do this

• 1 month later...

yes!! I solved the problem replacing the front propshaft with the CV , and, like magic, the car was running smooth and fine at all speeds! fantastic, I was very happy!

propshaft costed €169 + shipping, and mechanic charged me only €30 for replacement, very good, seller was Carspares, England off course, they ship on the same day.

Thanks to all people who helped me with this problem!