Novice winch challenge events

v8bobber

Hi,

I done the "search" thing and can't seem the find the answers I am looking for.

I am interested having a go at winch challenge events or similar but all the events I have seen seem to be geared up for expensive and modified machines.

I spoke to someone linked to the winch scene last week and they advised that I would need 37" tyres, hardened shafts, cage (naturally), twin winches etc etc.

Is there not series of events that follows a more "standard" route, with perhaps a limit to tyre size. It would be nice to have a relatively standard 90 with cage and limited mods that I can use for the occasional trialling and winch type events.

Do such events exist, or am I looking at having to dive in at the deep end.

Dave

I've challenged with my Ninety, full hard top and a Milemarker (though it does have a cage).

I found that if you enter with a plan to play safe, have a laugh, you'll enjoy it. If you want to bring trophys home, you'll want to push the truck harder and that means risking damage. I bent the rear crossmember a little and put a dent in the hardtop when I pushed a little harder, but I was willing to take the chance each time. Nothing prevents you stopping short and saying "I don't want to break the truck".

At the end of the day, it depends why you're doing it - I was only really competing against myself, and that took the pressure off.

I agree there seem to be a lack of event that cater for the milder style of challenge driver, or even folk that don't have mega money to throw into the sport.

Even events that start off fairly tame quickly turn into ones that require having two winches, just to stand a chance at any of the sections.

I can only guess that the current demand for tougher challenge events dictates what organisers will do to attract a good entry field :(

Keep an eye open for details the Mike Wolfe trophy that our treasurer (Hybrid_from_Hell) has an involvement in. There is a thread about it on here . He has plans to make it accessible to all levels of truck and driver.

Having just seen your location this may be a bit far for your, I believe it is being held in Sussex somewhere.

Can I recommend LRS challenge www.lrschallenge.com

They have set up 6 rounds, which now include a class 0

Class 0 – Entry Level. Road Legal Challenge Class (P58.3).

Vehicles must fully comply with C & U Regulations in ALL respects (a current MOT certificate is required). The maximum tyre diameter shall be 839mm (33 inches), and vehicles must have no more than a +3 inch spring lift. Only one, front, low line, electric winch may be fitted, which must have a minimum rating of twice the vehicle weight. Traction aids (locking/limited-slip/torque-bias etc) may only be used if original factory fitted equipment.

Friendly club and whilst they will have some challenging punches, there will be plenty for you to still do with loads of friendly advice (ready pis* take, the advice comes afterwards :hysterical: )

I am co-organiser of the AWDC Challenge North West and we are actively seeking new-comers and inexperienced crews with some nice easy punches and a host of advice, so there's another option for you, but don't get caught in the "you need this" trap.

Get in touch and we can talk you through what you need.

Chris

I spent £2k on my rangy buggy in the mid 1990's, but have spent a fair wodge on it since 2006 doing winch challenge. We started off with the standard axels that were fine for trialing, but getting adventurous soon led to axel upgrades as diffs and stuff broke. As stuff broke we replaced it with HD parts and over the years it became closer to the 'expensive/modified' off-roader you describe. We started off cheap, had fun, tried to stay safe, and smiled if we finished an event still running :)

I'll argue for 2 winches, because it gives you more chance to get about under control. But the Potts brothers had one winch they swapped from one end to the other. They could winch through ditches and lower into ravines to get the best of both.

Do less punches with a great deal of care and with plenty of waffle boards and has been said, stop if you think it's damaging.

Even top trucks will avoid stuff if it means more points at finish. Really tough 1000 point punches are only any good if they take less time than ten 100 pointers. It's as much tactics as it is kit ;)

I'm in the same boat or rather a Series Landy and there are a few events about.

Local to me Raiders 4x4 run winch events at the end of December and the end of June in Mid Northumberland and Penrith respectively.

These are very much aimed at the beginer and or trials competitor rather than the high end dedicated challenge stuff.

North Lakes 4x4 run challenge events that are novice/lower budget friendly.

I'm going to be entering the single winch class of the Mayhem Challenge with the AE 4x4 club in May.

In 2012 I did the Scott William Memorial Challenge down at West Harptree, Somerset. There was a broad spread of vehicles and experience.

I recall one punch that took me a good twenty minutes including a bit of a rescue via the front winch of Fat Cat which (pre Red Winch), once we had trundled clear at our 1960s pace, Paul Church floored his V8 sending mud about fifty feet in the air and leaping up the bank like a scalded cat. The whole section taking barely a couple of minutes. Fantastic to watch but I'm sure I had as much fun making it look difficult.

Keep an eye open for details the Mike Wolfe trophy that our treasurer (Hybrid_from_Hell) has an involvement in. There is a thread about it on here . He has plans to make it accessible to all levels of truck and driver.

Having just seen your location this may be a bit far for your, I believe it is being held in Sussex somewhere.

That could be of interest once I get a bit of experience. :i-m_so_happy:

Mud Monsters will be running a family punch hunt at some point this year, punfches will range from very simple to extreme, with most being doable with just one winch and set out to try and be non damaging. Not sure on date, but probably one of the summer months,

Have a look at the bama events

These are aimed at std. Motors and hark back to the old days of teamwork and navigation style events.

Almost no need for winches but plenty of grey matter needed ,well the ability to use it helps

Google mudmaster for an idea

Have a look at the bama events

These are aimed at std. Motors and hark back to the old days of teamwork and navigation style events.

Almost no need for winches but plenty of grey matter needed ,well the ability to use it helps

Google mudmaster for an idea

As I read it, these events are only open to serving members? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Nope some of them are open too civvies as well.

The mudmaster in Scotland being one of the best I've done.

Plent of navigation both on road and off and enough driving to keep me happy

The aim of all of these events is to improve driving standards and teamwork in a car plus the places you get to go too are superb.

• 3 weeks later...

liking the sound of the navigation events, that is something which really does interest me.

i dont really want to have to build a challenge orientated vehicle you see, i am more of a long range user, ie full bodied vehicle with distance/performance of some description in mind

on/off road orienteering would be quite excellent!

Come to the Isle of Man we have a great challenge scene that seems to work well for the serious and the not so serious side of things. Feel free to pm for details. It's worth the trip. Next one is June and entry fee is only 20 pounds.

Just back from the bama event in Staffordshire great weekend.plenty of banter we beat most the Yorkshire lads.......bar thence that won the competition

Roll on the next one in June 1 st at a very special location in Bedfordshire