Defender 110 2008

When test driving a vehicle with 134,000 Klms on the clock, I was surprised to find the clutch snatched on pull away.

I was assured that this is the case as the vehicles get older due to wear in the drive train.

Please help me as I really want my next vehicle to be a Defender.

Snatching could be anything, saying that they all do that because they get old is probably rubbish.

It could be oil contamination, knackered clutch etc. Test drive another at a similar age and see if that does it too. If it does, maybe they all are like that. But I wouldn't say that a 2008 is an old one...

Having been brought up on SIIA/SIII/Defenders [this-millennium being fitted with dual-mass flywheels] I've found the current 'Puma'-engined non-DMF Defenders to be rather knobbly and uncouth when it comes to clutch action.

What sort of RPM are you engaging the clutch at? On my 90TD5 I generally rev the engine to around 1200RPM before fully engaging the clutch.

A friend's 2012 'Puma'-engined 110 has what he describes as serious transmission-shunt/grumbling/growling/snatching - but that's because he expects it to pull from 30MPH in 6th. I change down to 3rd at that sort of speed - keeping the engine-revs between peak-torque and peak-power. I don't have transmission-shunt/grumble issues.

If vehicle was a Td5 or earlier then I would suspect excessive wear in the drive train. I'm assuming the snatch you refer to is related to backlash when the clutch engages drive but you haven't taken up all the slack. If this is the case then you could be heading for gearbox rebuild not a cheep experience. I posted a load of advise on the Defender for Ascension Island thread, re checking for backlash. You can also check by riding the clutch to make sure all backlash is taken up before fully engaging the gear.

Welcome to Land Rovers and the forum.

Rob

I recently swapped my '02 110 SW for an '08 DCPU. It took me a little while to get used to the clutch on the newer vehicle. Initially, I had some difficulty pulling away and changing gears smoothly. Maybe it's just lack of familiarity that's causing the issue you noticed?

It's fine now I've got the hang of it and I like the 2.4Tdci engine.

Phil.

I have found that Tdci Defenders tend to have very snatchy gear changes, and it takes a bit of getting used to in order to change gear smoothly. Once you have the hang of it though it's no problem and they drive fine - the sixth gear is very handy on the motorway.

I wish to thank all who have taken time to offer advice. I recently drove a Defender that only had 10,000 klms on the clock. The clutch was controllable and I was comfortable. So my mind is made up. I will not be buying the one with the snatching clutch for fear of great expenditure. I hope to buy one that has only 10,000 on the lock if not new. I live in South Africa and the exchange rate makes new rather costly.

I knew my instinct from 50 years of driving ordinary cars had to be of value. Thank you all again.

Jim