Stainless piston and calliper seals

ejparrott

Looking for suggestions from folks who've fitted same. Not particuarly looking for part numbers unless different to the parts cat as those I can find thanks to a post from Ralph, hence not putting it in the parts section, but looking for good sources of good parts.

My first thoughts are Bearmach for stainless pistons - never had an issue with Bearmach stuff. According to various results courtesy of Google, seals other than OEM seem to constitute disaster, but what is OEM? A lot of 'OEM' stuff seems to come as Bearmach. Are we talking actually JLR parts here, or does a Bearmach seal do the job - and I don't mean 'do the job' as in yes it'll work and it's cheap, but 'do the job' in the sense that they are quality components made correctly.

Thanks guys

I think I used Zeus pistons and seals from them? (too long ago). But OE has to be a good call. Last time I messed with it I put the used Zeus SS pistons into a new calliper, so I guess it 100% didn't have OE seals. I think you would be looking for rubber quality more than 'shape' in a seal.

As with the others above, I used Zeus pistons. I asked the about their seals and they told me they weren't britpart when I ordered so I fitted their seals as well. All went in fine and I think I only bent one dust seal retainer. That was about 2.5 years ago I think.

I bought Zeus ones in the last few weeks.

I also wanted at the same time the spacers which make callipers wide enough for vented disks. It took two months from when I first rang them and numerous other calls before I finally got the pistons and spacers. Now I was rather cheesed off at the time it took but they did honour the first price I was quoted (lot lower than it should have been) and the pistons and spacers are ferkin' beautiful, well worth the wait. Would I use them again? Definitely, no doubt.

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote here for Zeus pistons. I also fitted new seals at the same time. That must be over 10 years ago now and no pitting or even sticking pistons at all. They have survived Slindon, Broxhead and South Wales in their time :)

If seal fitting the retaining ring is the hardest bit. They are pretty fiddly. So I made sure the seat they press into was completely clean. You have to fit the piston first and then press the outer seal and retaining ring over the top. I had a tube that I cut in my chop saw to make square ends and then used that to press home the seal in a bench press. Seems a bit OTT but did make sure everything was square and pressed home evenly.

I would also buy a few more seal kits than you need, so there is a margin or error (or learning as I call it ;) ) :)

Good advice from AndyB. I'd just add that filing the edges of the retaining rings with a small bevel helps them in a lot - their edges tend to pick up on the rim of the hole otherwise, and then they buckle and are scrap. I can't iterate enough how important it is to have that hole spotlessly clean with all traces of surface rust removed.