What gearbox is this?

carlosbeldia

I think its a late Santana built Series Land Rover box - probably S3 spec. There was something about them on S2 club some years ago. I think its internals are much the same as standard. (But there are 4 specs of S3 box - with the last one having coffin-shaped engagement teeth to help secure gear engagement.)

It is a late Santana built series 3 gearbox, suffix D it should be as regards internals. One of the traders was selling them a few years ago brand new as he had bought a job lot of NOS clear out, possibly MOD stock. A very good friend of mine bought one for his 109" and it was very nice to use but failed due to a flaw in the mainshaft steel resulting in the rear threaded section falling off. So at some point I have to replace the mainshaft for him when we get the chance to sort his 109".