2WD vs 4WD

KEITHB252

You don't need a blanking plate, just unbolt the propshaft & VCU. There's hardly any noticeable MPG saving unless your VCU was already seized up, in which case removing it will prevent it from breaking your IRD & rear diff.

It will be fine, although it will suck pulling away quickly (wheelspin), won't handle as nicely, and will wear out the engine / gearbox mount bushes quickly. And if you ever take it off-road or in the snow etc. you'll feel like a complete tit. Also you should probably notify your insurance company.

If you look on the bay, they have a habit of being offered as 2wd, as the viscous coupling seized up, and it was to expensive to fix it properly. I saw an online guide of a guy who removed everything, including the rr shafts and diff. He fitted the outside cv cages back to the hubs to stop the wheels falling off. If you don't strictly need 4wd, and you can't swallow an expensive repair, its not a bad solution I think.

I run a td4 in 2wd mode, just took the prop and viscous off, as i use it as a runabout , so want max mileage , it does save about 4mpg .

Haven't noticed any wheel grip issues, (its an auto) , and it handles just fine . If I need 4wd eg in snow etc , i just use another vehicle.

If you want 4wd it takes about 30/45mins to fit the prop and viscous back on . JMHE

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When I disconnected the prop on our L-series for a few days while we waited for parts, I hated it. It was horrible pulling away, felt very unbalanced and not the fun it had been previously.

It was probably emphasised by the fact it is a Camel Trophy model with all the extra weight, but overall it was an off putting experience and something I would avoid again.

Cheers

Blippie