Td5 gearbox - repair or replace ?

dooroy

My 2001 Td5 has just over 200K on the clock and for the past few days there is a noise ( from what I suspect is the gearbox ) when the engine is idling .

The noise/rattle stops when you press the clutch so I'm thinking its the bearing on the input shaft . This would be the only part turning with the box in neutral ?

I fitted a complete new clutch last year including DMF - another reason I think the noise is from the gearbox .

What I would appreciate opinions on is :

(a) whether replacing a bearing would only be a short term fix due to the mileage ?

(b) would one of the bearing and seal kits which I have seen for sale be difficult to fit properly ?

© can a noisy bearing rattle away for long ? :(

My 2001 Td5 has just over 200K on the clock and for the past few days there is a noise ( from what I suspect is the gearbox ) when the engine is idling .

The noise/rattle stops when you press the clutch so I'm thinking its the bearing on the input shaft . This would be the only part turning with the box in neutral ?

I fitted a complete new clutch last year including DMF - another reason I think the noise is from the gearbox .

What I would appreciate opinions on is :

(a) whether replacing a bearing would only be a short term fix due to the mileage ?

(b) would one of the bearing and seal kits which I have seen for sale be difficult to fit properly ?

© can a noisy bearing rattle away for long ? :(

Yes thay can rattle away for a while depending on how bad it is but realisically you are just putting off the inevitable which normally ends in tears.

The place to go is Ashcroft Transmissions (ashtrans on ere). It'll cost you, but theres nothing worse than dragging a gearbox in and out two or three times just to save yourself a few quid.

If you want a quick solution then you could maybe shim behind the nose cone but this is not really the done thing.

Thanks for reply jimmy . I drained the box yesterday and refilled with Evo 1 from Difflock which I had lying around and it seems a bit quieter today - but as you say the problem won't go away .

I live in Ireland and Land Rovers (and info about them) are a bit scarce - so a forum like this is a great source of info to me .

Will see if anyone round this neck of the woods do recon boxes as I imagine getting one over from Ashcrofts would be costly -especially sending the old one back .

I got a steering box from Paddocks 2 yrs ago - they added €15 carriage to send it to me . But it cost me €48 to send the old one back . :angry:

It could just be the clutch release bearing?

Does it go away if you lightly press the clutch pedal, or only when you fully press it? Ie enough to load up the release bearing but not actually disengage drive.

I'd consider just fitting a good used box rather than a new/recon one tbh. As you say, shipping TO ireland isnt too bad, its the other way thats pricey for some reason, as i found out just recently when trying to ship a bellhousing over.

Will try what you suggest - the release bearing was replaced less than 20K ago but could still be the problem I suppose.

Will ask around about a good source for a SH box - new / recon units seem very pricey considering age and miles on the Disco .

I'd like to be fairly sure of a SH one as removing/refitting is a lot of work . And some breakers seem to think that ' try it and see how it goes ' is acceptable . A big difference between thinking it's OK and knowing it's OK .

Thanks for your help .

Could be the input shaft bearing, but in my experience it seems like the thrust bearing. You have to remove the gearbox anyway, and if the thrust bearing is shot, then you've saved yourself a bundle of money :)

If the gearbox does prove to be at fault, then speak to Dave Ashcroft. Second hand boxes are unpredictable and breakers will only exchange or refund, so you still have to do the work involved - possibly twice.

Les.

From past experience I don't think this is the release bearing - seems a heavier sound .

And as les pointed out the SH box could mean doing the job twice .

Looking at the Ashcroft site I see they have various sets for sale for the R380 such as a 7 pc bearing set or a complete set of baulk rings , bearings etc .

Was wondering if anyone here has experience of fitting these kits as I feel that the bearing set for example could sort out my problem for a reasonable price . The box is fine other than the noisy bearing .

Hello there. The thrust bearing is a common problem on them. Mine is bad when cold but noise goes away once warmed up, a friend of mines td5 is just starting to do the same thing, Land rover owner international had this fault in ther ecommon problems booklet they suggest its not a problem and just to replce it the next time you change the clutch and that it wont cause any damage.

Hope this is of interest. Pete.