ABS sensor replaced but 3 amigos still on !

obz100

Hi, I have a 2001 td4 and the 3 amigos came on last week. They stay on constantly, immediately from turn of the key to switching off. I have had the codes read and they say it is front right hand sensor signal too low or not present. I check the reluctor ring and it's fine. So fitted a new sensor still no joy. I have read about the brake light switch can be faulty but surely if the code reader says front right sensor then why would it be the brake switch? Would it be possible the fault is with the actual abs modulator? All help and ideas greatly appreciated!

The modulator is likely to be the most expensive thing to change, so from that point of view you're better off at least investigating the other common faults 1st. Simple stuff like the wiring (any damage, loose plugs, corroded connections), the HDC switch/wires, checking costs nothing.

My modulator ECU was damaged (someone had cracked the housing), it turned out to be easy to unplug the "brain" bit from the valve block and swap it without disturbing the brake pipes, although not all of them are the same - there's at least 3 different ABS units fitted to Freelanders.

• 6 months later...

Hi. I am new here and I hope that I can give you some help with three amigos problem. I've got Freelander '01 TD4, and after I bought it in 2007 I've been struggeling with various problems. Three amigos is the most annoying fault that I know, it can be away for months and then all of a sudden it can appear every time you start the engine. I used hours, days, months and years trying to find the true problem that engage lights on dashboard. I replaced brake light switch, checked every ABS sensor By using volt meter, checked ABS modulator, checked tires and almost every parts that are involved with brakes. Like I said, almost every part was checked with no result. But then in last summer (2013) true problem was found and the faulty part was G-sensor wich is located right behind of handbrake. It was physically ok but failed to work anymore. Part costs about 150€ (in Finland) and is very simple to replace.

Good luck with Amigos! :blink: