Starter motor problem?

Hi,

My starter motor has just started playing up. Not the usual problem of clicking and nothing else. It runs away as if going to do something but doesn't engage, if that makes sense. I have a 200Tdi Defender 1994. Can anyone shed any light on this problem?

Thanks, Paul

Either the solenoid isn't throwing the starter dog onto the flywheel ring gear, the starter dog itself is stuck, you have a few teeth stripped off the dog or the ring gear, or the little arm that throws the starter dog is broken/siezed/dislocated.

Les.

Either the solenoid isn't throwing the starter dog onto the flywheel ring gear, the starter dog itself is stuck, you have a few teeth stripped off the dog or the ring gear, or the little arm that throws the starter dog is broken/siezed/dislocated.

Les.

Thanks for that Les. It does start eventually, but sometimes can take several goes before she fires up. It also seems to be worse first thing in the morning?

P.S How do you get to the damn thing. It seems impossible from top or bottom. Do you need to take the down pipe of the exhaust off first?

i did my starter last weekend and in total it took about an hour, it was much easier than i was expecting, the biggest pain was sealing up the exhaust at the end.

Did your just clean it up or did you replace it?

i replaced it with a new bearmach one i think it cost about £90 ish but for the peace of mind that it should start should i stall it in a stupid situation (more than likley) it seemed the right thing to do. i may have a look at the old one and see if it is servicable and keep it as a spare but the gear on the old starter motor turned freeley which i perceve to be bad.

i replaced it with a new bearmach one i think it cost about £90 ish but for the peace of mind that it should start should i stall it in a stupid situation (more than likley) it seemed the right thing to do. i may have a look at the old one and see if it is servicable and keep it as a spare but the gear on the old starter motor turned freeley which i perceve to be bad.

Did your old one give way completely? What were the symptoms? Where did you buy your Bearmach one from?

<_< In order to avoid the hustle and stress, I simply bought a new Bosch Starter.. ( real broke now) and keep the old one for a rainy day.. It was minus 5 degress that morning.. Brrrrrrrr :huh:

Where did you buy it from and how much if you don't mind me asking?