Reynolds Broughton RB44's

MogLite

Been looking at overland vehicles for a long time.

Alas for what I want a Land Rover isn't big enough, rather than go Unimog, I think a RB44 would be about right size/cost etc.

Could be a civilian Dodge 50 or Renault S75 - they seem to go under many names - but something like this.

post-16-1188470508_thumb.jpg

I've found a reasonable amount of info on the web, but I have no idea how they drive.

Has anyone driven a later one with PAS and disc brakes.

I'd be interested to know how "civilised" the driving experience is - noise, performance, vibration that kinda thing.

This is a potential long-term project - but it will still be finished before Astro_Al's Unimog :)

We've got them here in Warminster. I've been here 8 months and only seen 2 move. So that tells you something. We use 1 for moving explosives around. I'll quiz the driver later hen I get hold of him. I think he's still on leave till Mon. Will report back when I know more.

Not sure how far you are from me if you wanted to pop over and have a look.

Paul Wightman had one of these or similar?

3 speed auto with straight 6 petrol - reluctant to climb hills with trailer and piggy behind :angry:

Paul's was a 4x2 with a rubbishy Yank Petrol and a 3-speed TF727. I am sure it was good at it's role in the AWE but it was not good at towing, as you say Dave. The 4x4 ones use a similar body but do not have a lot in common mechanicaly as far as I know.

They also made these.

http://www.reynoldsboughton.com/

Chris

Guest diesel_jim

I think the military versions have a perkins phaser engine, with 3 speed auto.

the brake problem was only on a few vehicles in the early days, but the MoD took the whole fleet off the road "just in case", apparently it's sorted now though.

I thnk they look neat, 9.00x16 XCL's, nice strong axles.

never driven one though, or been out on ex with any, so can;t comment on how they actually are.

Hmmm looks bad for the RB44's then.

Walfy - be good to get some feed back off of the driver next week - ta.

But Lovejoy has offered a glimmer of hope - in that Dodge 50's are good, but RB44's are bad.

I thought it was just badge engineering - but maybe not.

Could be a winner especially as my first choice would be an ex-Southern Electricity or similar as I want a crew-cab.

Mr Freeagent - these vehicles are rated anywhere between 5,500kg and 7,500kg ISTR. So quite a bit heavier/payload than a 130.

and this just don't look right to me.

post-16-1188491394_thumb.jpg

A Stonefield with a diesel conversion would also fit the bill, but they all seem pretty old/rare/rusty by now.

A pinzgauer is too spendy

Something 5-7.5 tonne and 4x4 crewcab is a pretty rare thing.

Mr Freeagent - these vehicles are rated anywhere between 5,500kg and 7,500kg ISTR. So quite a bit heavier/payload than a 130.

and this just don't look right to me.

post-16-1188491394_thumb.jpg

Something 5-7.5 tonne and 4x4 crewcab is a pretty rare thing.

fair enough, didn't realise you were looking for something quite that big...

I know it might be total overkill... but theres always bedford MK/MJ trucks..

have you looked at any american stuff? they do some pretty huge twin cab pick ups out there..

Used to know someone who ran one with a big generator set on the back, for events. As far as I know the only problem he had with the brakes was when a pipe corroded through and left him with none :ph34r: I think his was the 4x4 version.

Seemed a reliable enough truck, was certainly used regularly. No idea what it was like to drive, though.

Hi Moglite,

Saw a loverly Bedford 4x4 camper with artic camoflage over the weekend.

Just did a search on Google and came to this site for Witham:

http://www.witham-sv.com/tender/lots.php

Loads of ex military toys?

Found this there :P

ZIL 131 V8 Multifuel Radio Monitoring Truck, Evaluation Vehicle, Fully equipped Very Unusual

post-1119-1188637837_thumb.jpg

In Steyning there was a chap who was converting a Russian (I think) NBC protected personnel carrier - that looked pretty cool. Essentially a truck with a fairly angular body but with an air-lock on the back complete with shower. No doors apart from the air-lock. No opening windows, but plenty of Air-Con and CCTV cameras. He claimed it was nice to drive, if a bit thirsty.

No photos - no idea what it was - but it looked everso cool!

Si

RB44'S i hate them with passion................... there breaks are rubbish they fall apart very quickly, and in my opinion are under powered, as usaul they probaly looked good on paper but when the company that made them for the MOD they made a pile of dog toffee. Just my thoughts lol, im not sure what the civvi versions were lke as i know southern electric where running a fleet for bit.

Proto Sisu is big and cheap Andy? or a TGB? Mog even?

Jez, where would I find a Sisu? I've been looking for ages, but so far had no luck. :(

In answer to the original question. I found the RB to be under powered, under braked and the steering on the few I have driven was quite vauge and wouldn't be nice over a distance.

I'd go with a Volvo 303 4x4 or 6x6 if you can get away with the 3.5t GVW.

Paul. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to speak to the driver. His choice of words to describe it's characteristics are unrepeatable on this forum. He went on to say the whole driving experience is something he dreads everytime that I send him out. All the fitters don't like them. As I said we have about 20 at work, we as a platoon have 1 and we use it only when we have no other option. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

i had one a fire rescue engine derivative with a 5.7 chevy engine in it

sold it in the summer before we moved house

never got round to converting it to a mobile workshop as the gearbox was playing up. It used to eat gearboxes for breakfast which was why westlands had retired it in the first place. Spent more time in the workshop than availiable for fires

If there are not insuperable import restrictions, you would be hard pressed to find a better long haul truck than the likes of this:

4_1.jpg

That's a 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 with a mechanical 12v 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel straight six in it. Available in the US with @ 150,000 miles (low for the drivetrain) for 3,000 - 4,000 quid.

Optimally, it would be a '98 (first half of '98 before they went electronic) 4x4 Crew Cab Single Rear Wheel 1 Ton or 3/4 Ton (I don't like dual rear wheels myself). This was the first year of a real crew cab. The 12v is ready for bombing with a simple pump modification from TST and better breathing. Not a lot of work/money will get a mechanical 12v in the 300 hp/550 lbs-ft torque range. These come with Dana 70 (stronger than a Salisbury) rear axles and 60 fronts and are very tough.

In another direction, the Mitsubishi Fuso is getting a lot of good press from people building more road oriented expedition vehicles. Available with 4x4 and two different wheelbases 112" and 136". 4.9L four cyl turbo diesel good for 150 hp and 350 lbs/ft and a five speed box. More expensive and less powerful (weighs in the same range as 3/4 ton Ram), but interesting nevertheless. I think a crew cab would be a special order though.

Mitsi Fuso specs

commercial%20truck%20landscape.jpg

I like the Dodge, but that's because I have one :D

We are gradually swapping over to FUSO/CANTER at work - just bought another one. SO we now have three 6.5tonners and 2 3.5tonners. They are sold through Mercedes. The crew cabs are standard but ALL the load areas are custom. There is a 4x4 option in the UK but it is quite new. The next one we buy (Oct 08) will be a 6.5tonne 4x4 for towing the heavier plant; short body, crew cab, tool locker and 5tonne trailer capacity. They streets ahead of anything else on the market.

Our oldest is a 53 plate and will be chopped in next year. It has never gone wrong in just over 100k of bloody hard work. Looks like new, drives well and we will get good money back on it.