110 Speedo Suddenly Quit ?

Apart from broken cable which is more often than not the case the cable end could have come adrift from either of it's two ends. Just pull the dash away alittle and have a squiz - the cable fits into the back of speedometer with a bayonet type half twist.

Adam

Will;

I'm not bothered about the "flat out" speed, thats barely over the legal limit at near full throtle :)

Its the lower speeds thru the Villages concerning me............

The coppers lurk in those areas, not for safety reasons, it's just nearer the coffee shops :):rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
Apart from broken cable which is more often than not the case the cable end could have come adrift from either of it's two ends. Just pull the dash away alittle and have a squiz - the cable fits into the back of speedometer with a bayonet type half twist.

Adam

Adam, or anyone.

I need to change my speedo, have done it a long time ago, but can't remember how to take the cabe out of the back. Adam above says it 'a bayonet tyoe half twist' what does this mean ?

Mines on a 1987 - 90.

Cheers

Peter.

Think of how you put in a standard bayonet light bulb into a fitting - push it into the socket and twist it part of a turn to lock it in. Same sort of principle with the cable - push it in (locating the drive bit in the middle) then turn to lock it.

I find the 110 speedo quite inaccurate. The odometer over-reads by exactly 5%, and the speedo varies depending on the speed. At an indicated 110kph I am actually doing 104. The over-reading odometer makes you think your fuel consumption is better than it is.

If you really want to know your speed, use a GPS, although the speed readout on mine (Garmin 12) is rather small.

I find the 110 speedo quite inaccurate. The odometer over-reads by exactly 5%, and the speedo varies depending on the speed. At an indicated 110kph I am actually doing 104. The over-reading odometer makes you think your fuel consumption is better than it is.

If you really want to know your speed, use a GPS, although the speed readout on mine (Garmin 12) is rather small.

According to my GPS my 90 Speedo is spot on. Am running 750x16 tyres - G90's.

When I used 205x16 tyres GPS said speedo was wrong.

Worst experience was on a hire van, speedo was out by 10mph, so when driving at an indicated speedometer 50, GPS said speed was 60. Luckily I spotted this before going past any speed cameras !!

I suspect it is a drive problem as others have said.

In an early rangie I had, the spindle in the speedo head seized in it's bush - a good spray with WD40 fixed it.

In an 84 rangie I have, the spindle was slipping inside an aluminium coupling - crimping the coupling tighter on the spindle fixed it.

I've also had to replace the right angle drive at the rear of the speedo head on another occasion.