Tube bending

garymorris

Evening all !

Right I'd like to make a roll cage for my 110 , I've read Rob Park write up on pirate4x4 which is all fine .

The bit I'm confused about is the windscreen hoop where it is raked back/ bent at the top of bulkhead.

Obviously the other hoops are flat which is fine but the windscreen hoop has the bend in two planes (sort of)

Has anybody got any tips about how to do the front hoop ?

Thanks in advance

Gary

sorry not bent a hoop, but is it not just a case of bending a "U" and then appling a slight bend at the bottom of the windscreen position which applies the backward tilt at 90 degrees to the top of the windscreen bends?

On those benders you can use a magnetic pointer which will allow you (I would have thought, note... not done it) to apply a kink (partial bend) at 90 degrees?

Roll-Cage-11.jpg

Various_16_02_10_019.jpgJMR_Raceline1400679688_944.jpg

use a bit of conduit to trial it instead of CDS at least you'll get a feel for a template maybe, and not waste some decent tube (note, I've not done this before, but it's just the way I'd give it a go, maybe someone will come a long with a bit of first hand experience, or bends tube all day long).

As you might have noticed then the windscreen and doorpillar isnt in the same plane (?).

I start in the top center and then makes the two topbends for startes.

Then have to make a rotation before doing the second bend, the one in line with the vents.

This one is the tricky one. Of the top of my head I believe its 8 or 9 degrees rotation.

You also have to keep calm and make sure that you bent it the right direction.

One side is a little easyer than the other. If you bender is placed horizontaly and you are starting from the top center, then you stand isnt tall enough to make the last bend.

My sollution to this is to mount the bender upside down on its stand, keep a clear head and make the last bend.

This kind of fronthoop, is to me the most challenging to bend !

Good luck.

Morten

you can either do two bends (one backwards, one inwards) or spin the tube in the die and do one bend which will move the tube in 2 planes (backwards and inwards) if that makes sense.

From memory its about 14-16 degrees the tube needs to be spun by, but i lost my plans when i forgot to copy my bend-tech files over from my old laptop hard drive before formatting.

I bent two hoops and the worst bend became the one where all the tubes weld to it on the rear hoop. ( Hide it really)

My front hoop is raked back, but next time I thought I wouldn't, as it takes strength out of it. But if it has a cab you haven't a choice. I think you would have to have it more than 50mm too far up or down before it looked wrong. I'd put a bit of tube where you want the top to be, measure down to where you would like the centre of the leg bend and transfer that to the 'best' hoop. The you cut the legs down to the perfect length as a last job.

2D9DDA2F-EF46-482E-8178-B7EA851BD408_zps

Did you make/bend them yourself or buy them flat pack ?

@darrenroberts , yes I'm well aware of all that but I'd like to make my own , I have a tube bender and welder so was just looking for advice how to do the front hoop .

Sooo from the replies so far , it looks like it's just a case of working out how many degrees to turn when raking it back , simples ! :)

Can believe dirtydiesel hasn't popped in to offer some advice

Unlikely though it may sound, you can bend them a bit by hand. For starters, going backward immediately while the molecules are still in shock isn't that bad. It's a good plan to find a point on your truck that you can use as an anchor in preparation for getting it a bit 'off'. It is another one of those 'don't panic' things, where you sit and think why it is wrong and make a plan to put it right. Give me a long enough lever yada yada and I can weld another tube to the bit I am working on and its all good up until the truck starts moving around the driveway :)

Did you make/bend them yourself or buy them flat pack ?

@darrenroberts , yes I'm well aware of all that but I'd like to make my own , I have a tube bender and welder so was just looking for advice how to do the front hoop .

Sooo from the replies so far , it looks like it's just a case of working out how many degrees to turn when raking it back , simples ! :)

Can believe dirtydiesel hasn't popped in to offer some advice

Made myself, as I say if I hadn't lost my plans for them I could give you some numbers to work to.

As team idris says, if you get the bends something like it you can move them abit by hand to make it all sit right.

Get a copy of Bend-Tech - it will save you more than it costs in wasted tube.

Get a digital angle finder such as this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Angle-Gauge-Protractor-Inclinometer-Hold-Button-ABS-Pouch-/311134614555?pt=UK_Measuring_Tools_Levels&hash=item487111741b and clamp it to the tube so you can measure rotation.

Having something like this to measure the actual bend angle after spring-back is useful too to double check the reading on the bender or for measuring angles on the vehicle.

I have a JD2 bender which has been fantastic for stuff like this.

Si

I'd echo the idea to do a cut and shut from bits of straight and bend tube, then use that as a template to bend the proper tube. Have you considered to make a lh and rh a- hoop and fit a straight tube between that? It allows you to make the cage much closer to the body, and have 6 bends in total on 2 tubes instead of 8 bends on 3 tubes. plus a notch on straight tube is always a lot easier than a notch on a bend tube (see cage in my avatar).

Daan

I used to bend up RTW and more recently CDS using a hydraulic bender from Staffa. But last year I found this guy on the web and for my current (Imp) project I bought the hoops from him. They are bent up on a CNC machine and you're unlikely to get close to this accuracy using a manual bender.

I don't know Thomas personally and I'm not on any commision but IMHO this service is the rubbish and I won't be bending my own hoops again. BTW the postage is very reasonable so don't think you need to collect.

Tube Bender Limited
1440 Warwick Road
Knowle
Solihull
B93 9LG
Mobile: 07989 072 693
Home: 01564 770938
Email:
tom@tube-bender.co.uk

Cliff

Correct.

Bendtech has a few options which are listed on their site. I've got the sheet metal add on for mine which I use a bit.

It'll pay for itself in not too long. And give you the ability to bend complicated parts which aren't easy without it!

G

Another vote for bend tech, I've got pro and it's great. Would like to get the sheet metal module and try that too. I find it hard bending stuff without BT (probably because I've not had to do it much).

It's most useful for doing 3d stuff and working out how much you need to rotate the tube by to get the desired shape etc.

Buy direct from bend tech, I bought my bender from stakesys and they do sell bend tech but it costs more than buying direct. They email you a link to download the software and then send a backup cd via snail mail

Ive been bending cages for the last couple of years without bt, and have just been drawing the cages on plywood. Then made the bends from that. But as mentioned earlier with some problems.

Looking forward to get my copy of B.T. this thread has opened mly eyes towards it posibillities.

Thanks

Morten

Bit off topic... but still bending tubes.....

Has anyone used the manifold BendTech software?

Slightly different question.... still on benders .....

Anyone built a JD2 or other similar type bender from scratch (i.e cutting a plate and using tractor pindels)?

I've found various plans but not been sure who's does some of the plans fit or what the hole variance was between dies?