Fitting a Discovery rear axle to a 1988 90?

Hi all..

I have my name on a Discovery rear axle (Wish to replace with mine as I want discs all round) It comes with new pads and is even painted ready to fit with all the lines for £50 (BARGAIN)..

How easily is it to replace the axle with the one on my 90?.. I have had the rear springs and shocks off and one of the trailing arms so I know everything should un-bolt easily!.. My main concern are the brakes? (Apparently it is a case of turning the "T-piece" around on the disco axle to mate up with the existing pipe work?).. Also my other worry is the A-frame joint?

I have use of axle stands, Trolley jacks, Hi-lift etc.

Also is there anything I should do before I fit the axle?. Such as replacing seals or perhaps brake lines?.. I am going to fit a brand new A-frame joint whilst I am at it.

Any advice appreciated!.

Many thanks.. Matt

What age is the discovery?

The only issues that come to mind are that the 300 series discos have 3 bolt flanges on the diff rather than the 4 that you will need. Other than that it should bolt straight on.

I couldn't comment on the brakes other than that if the Disco had ABS there will be 2 separate lines rather than a t-piece...

hth

Mark

If the diff flanges are different, conversion flanges are available on the bay of ee's or elsewhere. Do a forum search.

I doubt it will be different.. The lad selling it promises it will fit straight on or I can have my money back.. He bought it to go on his mates but his mates lost interest in land rovers.

But I prefer to get some second opinions.

Can you describe what you mean by Diff flange?. Im guessing you mean the part which the prop shaft is bolted to using 4 x 9/16th bolts?.

Thanks..

My 1998 Disco V8 has a 4 bolt flange on the rear axle. I'm guessing this was changed at some point previous to my ownership, which is a little strange as, other than an LPG conversion, it was 100% original before I got my hands on it.

I'd forgret about the use of the hi lift if i were you.

Take the oppurtunity to examine the trailing arm mounts for corrosion around the welds and also check the diff pan. Depending on how much of a rebuild you want to do i would either completley strip down, repaint, new seals and bearings, new pistons etc etc or just whack it on. Paddocks do a 'rear bolt kit' for about £20 its worth buying. May aswell fit new brake lines while your at it and a new rear flexi that way you know its good. While you have the axle on the bench take the oppurtunity to use a hex/flank drive socket to undo the bleed nipples, bleed bolts and brake pipe unions on the calipers BEFORE you have to do it laid on your back/eating wheelarch with DOT4 running down your sleeve and skinning your knuckles on the springs.

I agree with Muddy. I bought a lovely pair of 50th anniversary axles a few months ago. They had only covered 30,000 miles and had been lying on a shelf since 2002. I stripped them down and replaced all seals and gaskets, regreased all bearings (they only had the thinnest of thin smears of grease) and rebuilt the calipers before fitting them. I would rather do these jobs on the bench than when the axle is fitted.