Water leak under the dashboard

Hi all

This is a job I have been putting off for a while, but with the heavy rain today I was getting a wet foot while driving, so I need to remove the dash to see where the rain is coming in, and to repair a couple of holes that I can see.

How easy is it to remove the dashboard? What do I have to remove to get access to the bulkhead from the inside?

Cheers

• Like 2

before stripping the entire dash out, check these areas.

outside on bulkhead below windscreen, there should be 2 rubber buffers that the bonnet rear edge butts against, if these are missing water can get into the cab more here

remove fusebox cover, pull back mat from the sides there should be 2 oval rubber grommets [one each side] replace if missing or ripped/punctured item 5 page 750

there should be a rubber gasket around the holes where the clutch & brake pedal units come in to the cab make sure these are intact or use a suitable sealaant between the pedal box units & bulkhead. clutch item 13 on page 476 & brake item 10 on page 478

Cheers for all that info, that is very helpfull. I think I see the problem now though. Where the channel behind the bonnet lets water run off the side, it goes down the joint between the wing and the bulkhead and down the side of the footwell. There is a pretty big hole there which is probably where the water is coming in. It then runs along the plastic under the dash and onto my foot. Wing off as well as dash out I think.

I also want to get to some holes on the inside in the top corners by the windscreen hinge bolt holes. Usually this is on the outside, but not on mine!

Teti did this job in the last two weeks, before fitting new carpets wanted to find out where the water was getting in so stripped the cab back to bare, seats dashboard the lot. The full dashboard can be taken off in a morning. Im glad i did it as i could see water trails that would have been hidden. Also allowed me to hammerite any rust that the water ingress had causedmy grommets were ok but the one in the passengers footwell was missing. but it turns out my watter was coming from bad seals on the windscreen vents. £11 replaced them and IM DRY NOW

• Like 1

That is why I have put it off soo long. A friend has a 54 plate 110, top of the range spec, ex demo vehicle and that leaks too. Not as bad, but still a wet foot on occasion.

I am sure they must have a part number for a water leak, same as they have for oil...

The only leaks left in my 90 are the footwells, I'm 99% sure it's coming from the windscreen seal (badly perished at the corners like they do) and the windscreen hinge bolts (the gaskets for those have long perished too).

The plan is to have it all off when I get a chance and replace them both, plus the screen-to-bulkhead seal, and hopefully that'll see me dry in the rain!

I thought my leak was from a perished windscreen seal until I had a new windscreen and seal fitted. The leak must be from somewhere else. I also have looked at the ingress manual which is of some help. Luckily it doesn't rain much here :rolleyes:

• 2 years later...

I found my water leak was coming through the seam in the bulkhead, directly under where the Heater Blower/Matrix is bolted down.

Removed all interior Trim and ran hose on LR until i could see exactly where it was coming through, originally i could see it dripping from the Plastic Trim over the Door Catch/Restraint Bar which made me think it was coming in through the Door Seal (which i also changed).

removed Heater, cleaned up, resealed with Dintrol 410 http://www.amazon.co.uk/DINITROL-POLYURETHANE-Sealing-adhesive-compound/dp/B007W1OWLS and refitted heater.

Also fitted new seals between Wing Inlet and Heater & Heater and Bulkhead.

^_^