disco 2 cruise control

skauldy

I bought rave but could never get the hang of it. Annoyed the **** out of me.

RAVE is Land Rovers workshop manual for the motor trade, therefore assumed that those reading the manual would have some mechanical/electrical understanding already, so they have left out a lot of basic information that the DIY home mechanics sometimes require.

Lucky we have other manuals available, the likes of Haynes, etc for the DIY mechanic which sometime work, but not aways.

I'm electrical engineer and have trouble sometimes to understand RAVE electrical diagrams, rubbish following a format produced back in the 60-70s, although no doubt not a problem for those trained on how to read them.

Its interesting to me how people talk about the Rave discs, they follow on in exactly the same format as the paper workshop manuals and electrical troubleshooting manuals before them. They were not,as far as I can tell ever intended for general release as the paper ones before were.They were intended to only be sold to the main dealer network and then with the EU Block exemption rules - to those who bought Testbook.This was the official diagnostic tool.

I bought this back in 2003 and received a set of Rave discs,they worked well, and had few mistakes. So I find it amusing when people moan about them,they shouldn't have them in the first place...

Amuses me when people slag off Haynes manuals too, used with common sense they're a good reference tool and yet they get it in the neck over the slightest of mistakes. If someone's blindly following any of these things they probably shouldn't be doing their own work. In this instance the Haynes would be all you'd need given it has wiring schematics and it's great to be able to have them in your hand at the car.

skauldy check your horn (ooh err), if it's not working then either the relay or fuse is gone and the CC is on the same circuit. It's the most common Td5 CC failure cause.

sorry maybe i didn't explain fully, its not the technical information i am unable to follow in rave ( i was a mechanic in a former life) its the actual user interface. From my last dealings with it the information i was trying to find was in an illogical order hence my frustration, so scoff scoff, smug, smug and all that,

The cruise control on my Discovery 2 TD5 ceased working - and, at the same time, the rev die-back on changing up from reasonably high revs in the lower gears ceased.

It transpired that on changing the clutch master cylinder the main dealer had omitted to replace the switch on the master cylinder (and taped up the end of the connecting cable, for good measure) which resulted in the cruise control not working (the switch immobilises the cruise control when the clutch pedal is depressed) and the revs did not die back because the switch operates a fuel cut-off which reduces the revs on an upward change.

It was only a lot of research on this forum which enabled me to go back to the dealer myself with the solution and avoid paying him £800 for the supply and fitting of a new engine ECU - which he had diagnosed as the solution rather than it being a fault caused by the serious omission on the part of his mechanic.

So, in short, have a look at the clutch master cylinder switch and connection.

Yes, knowledgeable folks on the forum kept referring to a switch in the clutch hydraulic system, either on the master cylinder or the hydraulic pipe itself.

I couldn't find a switch and then I came across a plug on a cable, taped up and nicely tucked away out of sight..................

sorry maybe i didn't explain fully, its not the technical information i am unable to follow in rave ( i was a mechanic in a former life) its the actual user interface. From my last dealings with it the information i was trying to find was in an illogical order hence my frustration, so scoff scoff, smug, smug and all that,

As long as you have the proper one (IE not just the PDF, that one is stupidly hard to navigate), I find it rather simple to use. Sometimes a little annoying chapters aren't sorted alphabetically, but apart from that, I can find most things I'm looking for within seconds.

I replaced my brake switch recently. Can't remember now has it not been working since then. Will have a look at the clutch and brake switches.

I got my RAVE version fleabay. Will have a look at it again and see what way it is.