TD5 Disco clutch problem PLEASE HELP!!!

Td5teve

Hi everyone!

I'm hoping someone can assist me with a problem i'm having with my disco.

I left my 2001 TD5 Disco parked up for approx three weeks whilst i was away working and upon my return the clutch was none existant! there was a lot of free play in the pedal and only about 1/2 inch of pressure at the bottom. Suspected a hydrolic problem so replaced the slave cylinder followed by the master cylinder. This did not solve the problem. The release bearing had been grumbling slightly when cold for some time so thought maybe it was goosed and was maybe pulling through the fork. Then i thought that the splines may have corroded whilst being stood. So i decided to bite the bullet and replace the clutch assembly including the duel mass flywheel, clutch, spigot bearing and release bearing. Still no joy!!! exactly the same as before! I have blead the system several times and there is no air at all and no leaks in the hydrolics. Has anyone any ideas or had experience with this problem?

Appreciate any suggestions what so ever. Thanks TD5teve

You still have air in the system, make sure the slave cylinder bleed nipple is at the top otherwise it will never bleed up, clutch pipe goes up to a switch on the inner wing then to the cylinder.

Maybe be worth while back bleeding it using an oil can and some small rubber tubing done this on many a truck.

Lynall

You still have air in the system, make sure the slave cylinder bleed nipple is at the top otherwise it will never bleed up, clutch pipe goes up to a switch on the inner wing then to the cylinder.

Maybe be worth while back bleeding it using an oil can and some small rubber tubing done this on many a truck.

Lynall

Thanks for that i shall certainly have a look as soon as i'm home next.

TD5teve

The TD5 fork does not have to be changed, as you now know. It is much stronger than the Tdi fork. You seem to have spent a lot of money on this problem so far, which is a pity.

Tell me about it ha ha!! Have you ever known a folk fail on a td5? I'm totally stumped! i'm pretty sure there is no air in the system but will check again. The only other thing i thought of was that the flexi hydrolic hose may be ballooning somewhere. Again have you heard of this before?

Cheers Steve

Yes, I saw this on a 1960 VW Beetle, the hose acted as a non-return valve and kept the front brakes on. And again, the hose was more than 30 years old!

No, the forks don't fail on Series, V8s and TD5s. For all I know it is the same cast-iron fork in all of them. The Tdi pressed-steel ones do fail (a lot).

As you have changed everything else, it can only be air in the system. To b;eed a Defender you just jump up and down on the pedal about 20 times, you could try that....

Cheers lads! Jumping on the dosco is sounding like a good plan at the min!!! I will try it and let you all know the outcome! Cheers for all your help! I wont start stripping everything down again just yet!

Cheers again Steve