Thermostate, Cab temp 300tdi Defender

Frax

Hi I would like a bit more heat in my cab but my engine temp never gets hot.

Did a 20 mile run today and gauge just got onto the low temp line just above the bottom stop.

I was thinking on changing the thermostate as I think my one is the origonal and just wondered what setting I should go for as I see there are a few options.

I have seen 88 degC which I think is standard and an 82 degC and even a 77 deg C.

the lower you go the cooler the air out of the heater will be. the hotter the stat rating the hotter the heater will be.
A new stat might help (as old stats can sometimes not close or open fully. so a genuine new stat might help... but only other real option is a rad muff or just put a plastic sheet infront of say half the rad in these cold spells to help it warm up / keep warm

I did fit a rad muff this morning but it made no difference, mind you it is not that good of a fit due to my Warn winch control box already blocking part of the radiator.

It may as you say just require a new 88 degC thermostate.

Mine was exactly the same in my 300tdi. Changed the stat to a OEM 88 degree stat and it's like a furnace now.

Coupled with a coolant flush if your feeling up to it and heater cable adjustment it will work a treat. I couldn't ask for a better heater in my 300tdi

Did a flush last year and adjusted the heater controls and all seam to work a lot better than it did when I got it but I never have a lot of heat to feed through.

Had the radiator out when I rebuilt it three years ago and it was well flushed and also checked the heater seals and controls.

On a normal day I only go about 2 miles and never expected it to heat that much but after 20 miles I did think the gauge would at least raise to about 1/4 of its scale.

Just finished cylinder head gasket and as a matter of course changed the stat and obviously put new antifreeze in.

I was pleasantly surprised by the improvement in my heater that was with a britpart stat too.

Well worth doing best £3 I have spent in a while.

Good my state must be well shagged :o or is it 9 o'clock - my gauge must be a different type to yours.

My one is a bit like this DSCF1019_zpscemxtdoh.jpg

And my needle just goes between the blue and the first line at the start of the scale.

No wonder I am freezing my nuts off, full insulated and heater was set up and I am still chattering.

As said most days I only do about 2 mile to and from so never noticed it.

I must also be going through fuel like an Unimog, would still love one though.