Auto Gearbox Oil Check.

michael100

Can anyone tell me if the engine should be idling when checking the auto gearbox oil level. I have heard this is the correct the way to check it but I do not understand the reason for the engine to be idling. Many Thanks.

To quote the text written on the dip stick on mine, "Check Cold, Idling in Neutral, Do Not Over Fill".

Have fun it's not the easiest thing to get a clear reading for.

I can make out " do not overfill " on the dipstick but nothing else. Left it for 2 hours, checked it and it still is not that clear as to whether theres enough in it or not. Will wait till the morning and try again.

Cheers for the info guys, checked oil first thing and all was fine, registering between the two markers.

You know there is a specific process for checking thze autobox oil, right?

Start with a cold engine, start the engine, place foot firmly on brake pedal, select 1st and leave for a couple of seconds to take up drive, select reverse and ditto, then put in Park and check the level.

The idea being you want to ensure that all the little crevices are filled up before checkig the level.

Cheers

Dave