portal axle conversion

aigars

Here you can now see the CTIS connectors in place on the in- and outside of the drop box....

3691504.jpg

3691505.jpg

These are not the final connectors, we just mounted them to show where they are.

Oh, and the offset of the Hutchinson wheel is 63.

So long,

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Badass!

Waiting to see both the axles under the 130.

Well, it´s getting there, isn´t it? The tyres weren´t available for a while but now they have finaly arrived and so we started fitting the rear axle today....

3812109.jpg

3812110.jpg

3812111.jpg

3812112.jpg

"Daily driver" tyre size is, for the time being, 315/75R16 (roughly 35").....and now we´re fiddling with the CTIS lines....

Hi Robert, looking good, although the Hutchinson wheels look pretty strange with that much inset!

I may have missed it above, but what's the gear ratio of the Portal boxes? How will the overall ratio work out with the 35" tyres?

What's your plan for the 130, you're obviously not going for extreme off road or competitions, so is your plan some more off-the-beaten-track overlanding?

I have tried offroad racing and am fine with doing assistance (with the 130) or being the co-driver/navigator, which I will again do in this years´s Dresden-Breslau Rallye.

My plans for the 130 will be expeditions to remote places and as far off beaten tracks as it will take me. I have two especially in mind and for those trips I wont get around portals as I need the clearance and in one of these places it´s already difficult to find 35" tires as I know from previous trips.

The gearing ration for the drop box is 1.6 if I´m not mistaken and the 35" tires should almost get me where I wanted to be. Maybe I´ll go for 37" later. We´ll see. It´s still time until summer and I need a few other things for this truck first.

So long,

Robert

I will have more pictures later and also some impressions from the first real test drive on- and off-road.

Cool looking is one thing, but I didn´t want portals for the Saturday cruise around town :D

so their performance in the field will be what decides about their future under my Defender....

New sound? :blink:

I figure with straight cut gears in all 4 portal boxes it has a fair whine to it at any sort of speed.

What is going on with the wheels Robert? How come the bolts stick so far out, because that's probably the worst part of the 'look'? Stazworks do wheels in this offset that look far better.

edit to say, I've just had a better look at the wheels and the bolts appear to be in backwards, could you not use countersunks put in from the outside to remove any projection out from the wheel and 'clean up' the look?

I figure with straight cut gears in all 4 portal boxes it has a fair whine to it at any sort of speed.

I suppose the small intermediate gears must be going at a fair whack, just never heard portals add new noises before. Certainly the Volvos are straight cut & don't make any noticeable noise in any of the trucks we've had with them on.

What sort of level are you filling these to with oil? Wondering if it could be a lubrication thing.

I know I'm probably in the minority on this one, but think the wheels look great.

(I never cease to be amazed at how 'modern' the 50(?) year old LR design can look with a few 'modern' bits added...or even without them for that matter. Form & function in perfect harmony)

On a more practical note, will be very interested to hear how the truck perform in anger too.