Rear brakes refurb. continued

Started original topic about week ago now, regarding my issues refurbishing/replacing my rear brake assemblies.

Good news is I got the near side brake pipe to bend to the correct shape, got it connected to the caliper.

However, I don't seem to be able to free the other end of the pipe from the brass T-piece connector. I bought a good quality 11 mm brake pipe spanner that wouldn't shift it (in fact hex head started to round off). Tried WD40 and heat still no joy. Finally got some mole grips on and tried the brute force approach still won't budge. The off side, which I was dreading came loose easily from the T-piece, although I have left it connected for time being.

Firstly this jobs becoming a pain:

Debating worst case scenario now, replace the brass T-piece that's assuming I can easily remove the flexi hose from it. Down side major bleed of the complete rear brake assembly and front too (was hoping to bleed individually). Guessing I wont get the 3 way brass coupling cheap probably genuine part only :-(.

So Planning to persevere trying to get this awkward coupling off ANY TIP's !!! If I could get this pipe and connector off the rest is fairly straight forward, as I already have new pipe in place to reconnect.

Before I start the off side, anticipate the coupling to caliper will be a problem. So Iv'e already ordered brake pipe, new couplings and a flaring tool set (be prepared). As the coupling to T-piece has already been slackened off off side refurb should be easy in comparison.

Anyway as mentioned above any tip's, techniques etc will be greatly appreciated.

Ian

Thats not a bad idea although its dependent on me being able to disconnect the flexi pipe.

On plus side I save on cost of a replacement 3 way connector but have to contend with full system bleed after. Hate bleeding brakes.

I ended up biting the bullet and ordering new T piece. Had another attempt removing the brake pipe coupling without success. Even had a go at loosening the flexi pipe nut that's solid too but at least that nuts not round so still chance to get it off.

In the mean time made a blank coupling for the o/s so I can disconnect that pipe. The n/s I will cut the pipe off just before the coupling and crimp the end to stop fluid loss.

I can then remove the T from the bracket and hopefully have more room to maneuver and get the flexi pipe disconnected or at least loose ready for new T when it arrives.

Sounds like a good plan hope it works loosing patients now and my deadline keeps slipping.

This is getting beyond a joke now. I have isolated the T-piece blanking of the feeds to each rear caliper, I got a replacement pipe for the near side and new caliper fitted so no problem there.

The pipe on off side got damaged removing from T-piece (as its normally only supplied as original part costing £75) this would would have been a problem but got a kit and pipework so can make my own, again no problem.

Being able to separate the flexi pipe from the T-piece is going to be a problem I suspect looks week seized in the T- piece. Not a problem you would think get a new flexi hose £4 to go with the new T-piece I have ordered !

This is where the real problem begins There is no way on God's earth of undoing the other end of the flexi pipe. It's covered in hamerite/rust and years of debris from a previous owner and god knows what else, and would have to be cut off.

Ah but I have a kit to replace the pipework all the way to the front of the vehicle you might say ? Yes but I haven't got a clue what connections are used ie looks like a female connector on the rigid pipe, which connects to the flexi pipe via a bracket. I cannot find a diagram or sizes of the connectors.

I am going to try lots of WD40 and heat on the T-piece to hopefully get the flexi off but as a fall back I need the sizes and a diagram of the flexi connection to brake pipe on the chassis :unsure:

Getting desperate now can anyone help ?

Its a 90 Defender 1995 without ABS.

Ian, if it were me and it has been in the past, go back to where the rear pipe begins, disconnect it and scrap everything rearwards. Then start again with new pipe and fittings. Its very simple and just requires a bit of patience.

HTH

Mo

Got new T piece in post great, so decided to persevere and did eventually get the hose connector off. Bad news the new T-piece had faulty thread (no I didn't cross thread it, turns out it was a Britpart).

Anyway carried on and got the rounded pipe connector off too :i-m_so_happy: so just replaced the original T-piece. Left the O/S blanked off so I remove the caliper and start fabricating the new brake pipe for that side.

Connected the N/S pipework up so that's sorted now as soon as I bleed the system I can tune the old girl around and start with the disc etc.

Thanks for the advice.

Ian

Yup, that about sums things up ( no i didnt cross thread it, turns out it was a Britpart ) i watch a tv prog the other day where a Range rover was restored at Britpart's workshops ( car rescue one with fuzz and his plonker side kick ). funnier than Wheeler dealers, ( oldout yerand yoo bort a motah ) No doubt its a scrapper now. funny thing is, i thought BP was a quality brand until i had 1st hand experience. thats BP v Bearmark etc. i must admit i laughed when i read your post's as its almost identical to my experience............... but i did the cross threading and it didnt take much to do it either. :blush: