noisy vacuum pump I hope

Discovan300tdi

Right chaps my 300tdi has developed a loud ticking/thumping noise from the left hand rear side,of the engine, the noise goes away on the overrun, so I'm convinced that my vaccum pump is on its last legs.Or is it something more serious??

hopefully its not serious as my wallet couldnt take the strain at them

Sounds exactly like mine did mate and it did turn out to be the vac pump,unfortunately i dont think theres anything you can do to stop it apart from buying a new one which annoys me.another fella on another fourum pointed me in the right direction by telling me to place a long screw driver on the pump with the engine running and listen to the other end of it,just to make sure it was the pump and not the tappets.We also formed the opinion that it was milage related,his had just done 110,000 and mine 120,000 a few others also reported probs around about that sort of milage as well.one guy said his broke altogether and left him with no or very little brakes,but he did say his pump was so loud that he couldnt hear the engine.hope this helps mate.

Sounds exactly like mine did mate and it did turn out to be the vac pump,unfortunately i dont think theres anything you can do to stop it apart from buying a new one which annoys me.another fella on another fourum pointed me in the right direction by telling me to place a long screw driver on the pump with the engine running and listen to the other end of it,just to make sure it was the pump and not the tappets.We also formed the opinion that it was milage related,his had just done 110,000 and mine 120,000 a few others also reported probs around about that sort of milage as well.one guy said his broke altogether and left him with no or very little brakes,but he did say his pump was so loud that he couldnt hear the engine.hope this helps mate.

Think mine is on the way out too. 113k 200Tdi. Was the noise intermittent to begin with on yours? Mine comes and goes and I can only hear it with the window open - weird. Also, pedal is hard when I start up sometimes. Waddya reckon?

im no expert on vac pumps but i would say in my own experiance if you have tapping,pedal probs and have made sure its not the tappets that its real likely thats your answer.mine just slowly started and got louder until i could hear it in the car with the windows shut.to be honest here i can only comment on the 300 tdi as thats what i have got,i dont want you to go out and buy one to find out its not that,sorry i cant be more concrete but if it was a ten quid part it wouldnt matter,but i think there about 85 notes.mind you thinking about it,if its getting louder and louder theres a good chance its on the way out my friend.

oh mate im sorry to hear that,im in a bad way as well with a smashed right leg with a god awful ilizarof fixator bolted and pinned on it for the last 18 months but having said that i reckon without doing myself an injury i would never have got into land rovers,as i only bought one because it was auto,we could all fit in it(3 young boys and the mrs and me)it was man enough to pull our caravan for cheap little holidays to keep moral up and they are cheap compared to others normal cars to maintain.so i guess every cloud has a land rover lining,so if i were you i would busy yourself reading the haynes manual from cover to cover and searching the internet for solutions to your probs,you own a discovery so that will take sometime lol. i wish you a speedy recovery mate,all the best,paul. P.S. are you really a doctor?lol.

Thanks for the supportive words.....I've read the Range Rover (got a 200Tdi factory fit) manuals (on CD) already so nearly qualified as a mechanic :P Haynes manual next! I am a Dr but not of medicine...marine biology. Far more exciting that looking at someone's piles or varicose veins :rolleyes:

sorry mate i should have looked at your avitar an realised you have a rangie. marine biologist hey im impressed,but thought you guys were always messing around in the crystal clear waters around the bahammas studying fish migration or shark feeding habits not messing around in fields with 4x4s :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
well after waiting a week for bearmach to send me my new vacum pump and spending 2 days fitting due to the weather , the noise has gone :) and my brake pedal seems a lot better aswell cheers chaps

That's excellent news!