Snorkel for a 2.5 NA

Paddy

I have an ex military 2.5 na 90 which I added a homemade snorkel to, as a necessity not for looks. I need to make it more authentic and permanent. I saw an article that describe the military set up as through the near side, top of the wing, heater air intake and re routing the heater intake via flexi hose to a S111 heater air intake mounted on the n/s front wing. Anybody got any info. or seen this setup? I’m wondering how to ‘join’ the heater box to the flexi hose and what size hose is needed to match the S111 intake grill. This is the only picture I could find to illustrate the setup.

Regards.

snorkel6.jpg

I've seen it first hand, the royal marines used it in their waterproofed 110's. The plastic heater tray/box in the wing is deleted and the metal plate pipe is mirrored under the wing with a 90degress bend to go towards the air fiilter. pushed into the side of the underneath metal pipe section is a collection of 6mm tubes to carry the breathers from axles, gearboxes and engine timing cover.

The heater hose is re-joined to the heater box using a flexi/rigid pipe and jubilee clips from memory.

It’s the replacement heater air intake that I’m having trouble get info. on, as in the size and run of the flexi, joining to original heater box and joining to the S111 air intake. Also seems very tight to run a flexi through. Posted on EMLRA so awaiting any feedback.

Let us know the outcome!

Well EMLRA wasn’t a lot of help. Best info. I came up with is in the link below. The simplest for a diy job is on the Blue Defender. If you’re thinking of buying the whole job piece by piece then sit down before you browse !!!

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f7/riased-air-intake-2-5-petrol-171100.html

It’ll be interesting to see what it goes for, mad rush in the closing few minutes!!
Still left with the unanswered problem of what and how to do the heater intake. I’ve been running mine without a fresh air intake scoop and while I haven’t gassed myself I do get ‘engine smells’ which is this reason for wanting a better setup.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Meant to update a while ago when I completed the alteration, see OP. Decided this was the easiest route to take. The radio box (whatever it’s called) was moved from the nearside to the offside, this left holes in the nearside wing top. Blanking plate cut to disguise holes and hole cut to take the new pipe work elbow. Rubber elbow (sort of like a 90 degree S shape) connects the pipe to the air filter box. All nice and water tight. Water still rising so will get a good testing in the next day or so :o pic2.

post-2553-0-66207500-1416166079_thumb.jpg

post-2553-0-76477700-1416166106_thumb.jpg