TD5 Crank Damper now obsolete?

mike4444244

Hi all,

My TD5 110 is doing a budgie impression when switching off, at 155k miles I'm suspecting the damper, when pricing up it appears to be no longer available from LR? The britpart one is listed at £380, and allmakes at £700+ (!)

From previous threads I was expecting about £380 for a genuine one so has BP taken over supplying oem ones?

At £750 I'll let it pop and put a low mileage disco engine in!

Mike

I had a look on turners website knowing that they don't sell tat. Their damper is britpart and in brackets they state that it is the 'only available option'. I'd give Frida a ring and see what they reckon to them - at least you'll get an honest opinion, but it looks like it might be the only option.

http://www.turnerengineering.co.uk/acatalog/TD5.html

Island 4x4 also have britpart ones at 199 plus vat.

• Like 1

Hmm haven't investigated the belt too closely, I just assumed the chirp was the pulley, it's only on switching off the engine and it's been getting worse, the belt is relatively new since I fitted my air con compressor, I'll investigate a bit more thoroughly in daylight tomorrow!

Mike

When I changed the belt to a lesser known brand I had a lot of squealing. Switched to Dayco and reduced to a chirp when shutting down.

Try switching air con on and run the engine for a while, switching off while the compressor is engaged. Chirp likely to be louder. Try staring the engine while compressor is engaged. Does it squeal ?