Tie Rod End Removal

pw8757

Are you talking about unscrewing the joint out of the shaft itself, or freeing the whole assembly from the hub/steering arm?

The former probably requires any combination of a wire brush, lubrication, a vice, heat and some elbow grease. The latter, a puller. There are several different types. I use one like this one.

I put a smear of anti-seize on the tapered mating surface of the ball joint, and the threads of the bar section end of mine when rebuilding. I've had highstreet wheel alignment guys refuse to tackle the car until I assure them that everything is free. Cretins :D

If you have something solid - a good axle stand or some solid wood and a sledge hammer put either under the trackrod on a hard surface , rest the TR on it

and whack the TR tube at the end over the threaded section with a good heavy copper hammer or a steel hammer and some soft metal between it

and the TR - that's if you have no heat or a good vice

Soak in a decent penetrating oil first - clean the slots where the pinch bolt goes to help

cheers

Steveb

The video shows the method I've used for years, it works every time, in replacing it or installing a neew joint I put a tiny amount of copper based grease on the taper to prevent it from rusting in - it makes for easy removal the next time around.

The video shows the method I've used for years, it works every time, in replacing it or installing a neew joint I put a tiny amount of copper based grease on the taper to prevent it from rusting in - it makes for easy removal the next time around.

The video shows what I always thought was the correct way and the way the tie rods were designed, a variation is to hold another hammer or similar the opposite side as you strike.

If your trying to unscrew the tie rods out heat the shaft to red hot then spray on WD-40, makes a bit of smoke but helps to free up old threads. If the shaft and tie rods are very rusty, buy new ones, I had the shafts off my Disco years ago, got them red hot in the vice, tried turning the tie rod with the biggest monkey wrench I had, ended up twisting the shaft like a twistix.

Really struggling to get tie rod ends out of steering shaft.

Any tips anybody.?

Remove the steering shaft from the vehicle and place it in a vice. Clean the slots so that you can get some WD-40 in them. Once soaked using a hammer repeating hitting around the shaft (between the slots) will break the rust in the threads and help the WD-40 penetrate the threads. Use more WD-40 while continuing to hit the rod with a hammer you'll notice the oil become milky in color. Once it has changed color use the close end of a wrench on the tie rod to rotate it free from the steering rod.

THT.

Thanks everyone.

Have to say the solution I'm going for is RRR47's above.

Have tried the heat, the WD40, vices, wrenches and all.

16 years of corrosion have defeated me.

The good news? Always wanted an excuse to get some heavy duty ones and SWMBO agrees......!