Steering vibration

Simon_CSK

Was away at the weekend travelling to Portsmouth and back 1000 miles in 2 days. Soon after leaving I started to get a vibration on the steering.

I learned that when it happened positive steering in any direction solved it.

I suspect either track rod ends or bushes. However everything was replaced with new 30,000 miles ago when the chassis was rebuilt.

I'd say 30k was a fair mileage for some ball joints, I had my track rod off the other day and noted they where ok, but they where starting to go and they're under 30k just...

You could have lost a wheel weight too...?

I will have a look at the track rod ends when I get a chance. I am pretty sure the wheels are ok but thanks for the confirmation.

Maverik

Spot on main drag link U/S it must have gone all of a sudden because the days before it was fine otherwise I would have picked up on it sooner as I do a lot of miles in it.

All new heavy duty ones ordered so a job for the weekend.

Thanks again

I was about to say, 25000 miles is the top limit for 99% of ball joints (40,000 kilometres) with or without grease nipples and it's not as if they are an expensive item to replace - and this includes the illegitimate son of a female dog on the rear differential, although the last Bearcroft unit I installed was adjustable, which is very handy.

Also it's very good service practice to replace the front wheel bearings and check the suspension bushes at the same time as you're replacing all the front ball joints - preventative rather than break-down replacement on the side of a dirt road on a foul wet windy night - Murphy's law and Murph is an optimist !

I've learnt the hard way :angry2: to replace all of my ball-joints and front suspension bushes every 30,000 kilometers (20,000 miles) or every 3rd time I do an oil and filter change. This may seem a little excessive to you guys in the UK but then touring the outback deserts of Australia is possibly a far more abrasive and wearing condition than you would normally experience.

I had found a track rod end gone and replaced them however today I took the car for a long run and the vibration is still there. I have checked the bushes and they appear to be fine there was no movement with my habds but that doesn't mean they are not gone. How do I check the bushes?

I had found a track rod end gone and replaced them however today I took the car for a long run and the vibration is still there. I have checked the bushes and they appear to be fine there was no movement with my habds but that doesn't mean they are not gone. How do I check the bushes?

Bushes can be checked by sight, the rubber will be cracking and coming away from the metal sleeves, a decent pry bar to move stuff will help.

Have you checked for missing wheel weights, wheel and swivel bearing play ect?

Bushes can be checked by sight, the rubber will be cracking and coming away from the metal sleeves, a decent pry bar to move stuff will help.

Have you checked for missing wheel weights, wheel and swivel bearing play ect?

Not yet. I am going to jack it up as soon as the weather improves. The vibration is too bad to drive.

It is Poly Bushes on it an they certainly look ok to me

Lifted both front wheels and there is play on the o/s/f which I take it to mean my bearing is shot. I was therefore lucky to have got to Portsmouth and back. The last time that happened the wheel collapsed. New bearing on order so hopefully all fixed early next week.

Lifted both front wheels and there is play on the o/s/f which I take it to mean my bearing is shot. I was therefore lucky to have got to Portsmouth and back. The last time that happened the wheel collapsed. New bearing on order so hopefully all fixed early next week.

Wheel or swivel bearing?