Webasto thermo top v

jimmy_neutron

Though not :(

OK, it's slightly different (being from a bus rather than having one) but....

I'm using a Thermo 300 - which cost me £3.00 (three pounds) form a breakers yard to heat my unit - along with a 24v power supply c/o eBay.

All the wiring diagrams are on the webasto site if you search. Plugged it in, dipped the fuel pipe + return in a jerry can of diesel - and away it went!

I now have it plumbed in to three domestic radiators via some adapters I made (as the water in and out are 38mm bore) and a 205l drum of heating oil for fuel.

Heating 500 sq foot, it uses about 500ml per hour on a cold day and heats the unit to a toasty 22C. It's a bit noisy (jet engine noisy!) - but boxed in it's OK.

If it's like mine, there are two connectors W1 & X3

X3 (8 way) only needs a 24v supply (12v in your case) to pin 5 and if you supply power to pin 6, it goes in to economy mode.

W1 (6 way) has 6 pins. 2 to ground, 3 & 4 to +24v. On/Off is activated by applying power to pin 1.

Si

OK, it's slightly different (being from a bus rather than having one) but....

I'm using a Thermo 300 - which cost me £3.00 (three pounds) form a breakers yard to heat my unit - along with a 24v power supply c/o eBay.

All the wiring diagrams are on the webasto site if you search. Plugged it in, dipped the fuel pipe + return in a jerry can of diesel - and away it went!

I now have it plumbed in to three domestic radiators via some adapters I made (as the water in and out are 38mm bore) and a 205l drum of heating oil for fuel.

Heating 500 sq foot, it uses about 500ml per hour on a cold day and heats the unit to a toasty 22C. It's a bit noisy (jet engine noisy!) - but boxed in it's OK.

If it's like mine, there are two connectors W1 & X3

X3 (8 way) only needs a 24v supply (12v in your case) to pin 5 and if you supply power to pin 6, it goes in to economy mode.

W1 (6 way) has 6 pins. 2 to ground, 3 & 4 to +24v. On/Off is activated by applying power to pin 1.

Si

Awasome unit + thanks but its the electrical bus i'm having bother with not the big red bus :lol:

Also, Webasto do some sort of engine timer pre-heat kit themselves which you can order and bodge?

EDIT: Not sure exactly which one is yours but here:

http://techwebasto.com/heater_main/LIT907610A.pdf

Should tell you what wire does what :D

LAST EDIT: http://sbmcc.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=19947

The suggestion at the bottom is a pretty good one. Open the heater up and compare it to the documentation given above. You will then be able to bodge a work around, or if you send me an appropriately labelled diagram, I might be able to work something up for you...

HTH

the model he has got is a newer one ,the V stands for venturi, and is more compact and more powerful. I looked a while back for the diagrams, even the local webasto service centre didn't have any info on it, when I looked , might have better luck this time.

Orchie

Thanx all ..

Got a wiring diagram from LR for the disco 3. This confirms that the FBH must be started by w-bus.

This lead me to a load of googling. Which has led me to believe that the t91 telestart has a w-bus connection. Anyone got any circuit diagram or good info on one of these (or similar).

Also heard that the 1533 timer has got a w-bus connection, but asked someone on ebay and he said it doesn't. So again, antone got any info on this ??

I think the 1533 timer is the oval one? If so, then yes it has a w-bus output, which is active, and didn't appear to be a very complex protocol (though it's 4 years since I looked at it) so it could be faked fairly easily.

I think I have a 1533 with a dead display somewhere... will have a look later today.

Thanx all ..

Got a wiring diagram from LR for the disco 3. This confirms that the FBH must be started by w-bus.

This lead me to a load of googling. Which has led me to believe that the t91 telestart has a w-bus connection. Anyone got any circuit diagram or good info on one of these (or similar).

Also heard that the 1533 timer has got a w-bus connection, but asked someone on ebay and he said it doesn't. So again, antone got any info on this ??

This might be worth a look too...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/libwbus/

It's a library of software modules for talking on the wbus. The notes in the wbtool download say :-

"This is a compiled version of the wbtool utility included in the sources of the libwbus. If you want to play with your Heater without bothering compiling anything, this is what you want."

You'll probably have to install cygwin to get it to run.

It looks to still be current (updated recently).

This might be worth a look too...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/libwbus/

It's a library of software modules for talking on the wbus. The notes in the wbtool download say :-

"This is a compiled version of the wbtool utility included in the sources of the libwbus. If you want to play with your Heater without bothering compiling anything, this is what you want."

You'll probably have to install cygwin to get it to run.

It looks to still be current (updated recently).

Thanx for this.. It might be worth a play before buying anything else.

If it works then it will definately make this a cheap option for a winter heater.

Thoughts.. if the 1533 is bus compatable then the newer telestart units most probably are. Thus i will be able to start my heater from 1km away on a key fob. It'll just come down to price i think.

If i get it all working then i'll post some pics and a wiring diagram etc so it can be copied as this will a be a cheap way of using a webasto which is really cheap and only a couple of years old, cos the majority on the internet believe it to be useless.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...