Minimum wheel width for 285/75 16

Brookers

I'm looking to buy a set of 285/75/16 also. Current plan is to widen some Wolf wheels +1" on the outside to make it 7,5" instead of 6,5". Don't want to have any insurance hassle if something goes wrong....

Where do insurance companies stand on widening wheels?

from experience, 7" is fine.

and from other's experience, 6.5" does not seem to be too much of an issue either. http://www.ihana.com/ 30000km i think on and off road through south america without issue related to rim width.

regarding widening wheels in the uk, it seems to be a bit of 'my friend's cousin's, aunt's son in law was once told by a vosa inspector's nephew that widening wheels was illegal'. widewheels seem to be happy enough to do it on a commercial basis without disclaimer, although they're happy to charge you a lot for it too.

would no doubt be cheaper to get it done closer to home juriaan.

I've been running 285/75's on 7" rims for years no problem.

Jon

Hi! Jon,

Isn't it too less. According to the tire guys you need atleast 8" and above for 285/75R16s! Are you using modulars or are they on alloys. I am asking as I am too contemplating on buying the MAXXIS BIG HORN MT-762 285/75R16s Mud terrains and am looking at a nice 8" wide x 16" alloy or silver modulars of the same size for my Defender 110 , 1990. Would the original LR Deep Dish alloys which are 16 x 7J be suitable for the tyre or do I require 8J?

Hi! Jon,

Isn't it too less. According to the tire guys you need atleast 8" and above for 285/75R16s! Are you using modulars or are they on alloys. I am asking as I am too contemplating on buying the MAXXIS BIG HORN MT-762 285/75R16s Mud terrains and am looking at a nice 8" wide x 16" alloy or silver modulars of the same size for my Defender 110 , 1990. Would the original LR Deep Dish alloys which are 16 x 7J be suitable for the tyre or do I require 8J?

As I posted above according to BFGoodrich (who probably know more about their tyres than the "tire guys") the specified rim range is 7.5 to 9.0 inches wide so anything in that range will be fine. Having said that 8 inches is better than 7 (ooer) but you will struggle with wide 16 inch Land Rover rims. The only wide alloy I can think of is the Compomotive AT which is available as an 8.5x16 and looks fantastic, the vast majority are 7x16 only which is why you'll see most people using those.

I was proprietor of tyre dealership , and supplied and fitted tyres for gov , inc police pursuit vehicles . There are various reasons for tyre manufacturers specifing what is appropriate rim sizes for tyres . Some of which may not be immeadiately apparent. The main point is tho , if you fit a tyre to a rim that the tyre maker does not list as suitable if something goes wrong, eg accident in which investigators find it a factor then you could be in real trouble , financial and otherwise . So in the end it all depends on what you are willing to risk . as was recently demonstrated by a 110 owner . Do not rely on word of mouth if you feel you are in a grey area eg bronco 285 on a 7 inch get it in writing , they wont be the ones dealing with proof problems . JMHO