How much does a 96 Discovery weigh

gkm24

Hi first post on this great site.

I am just about to get my discovery which does not run and need to pick it up on a trailer. Can anyone tell me how much the vehicle weighs so I can make sure i rent the correct trailer. Failing being able to get a trailer, do i have to disconnect both propshafts if i want to tow it.

It is a non runner as the owner says that the bottom end is locking up when you try to start it...hydraulic lock???

Anyway I have a spare 3.9 engine if the worse comes to the worse. It is a serpentine if it makes any difference.

Thanks for any help. Graham.

About 2 tonnes give or take a bit depending on what is fitted. You can tow it on all four wheels with no problem but if you do a suspended tow you really need to take the rear prop off as otherwise the front wheels will be going mad or the centre diff will be spinning madly. Neither of those is a good thing.

Also don't forget when you take the rear propshaft off the handbrake is not all that effective, always embarrassing to run yourself over with your own vehicle :)

Just looked in the workshop manual and the kerb weights listed are:

V8 3 door 1980kg

V8 5 door 2025kg

300Tdi 3 door 2055kg

300Tdi 5 door 2100kg

The EEC kerb weight is unladen wt + full fuel + 75kg driver so I guess you can knock 75kg off any of those which makes my first answer remarkably accurate ;)

Welcome by the way :)

Just looked in the workshop manual and the kerb weights listed are:

V8 3 door 1980kg

V8 5 door 2025kg

300Tdi 3 door 2055kg

300Tdi 5 door 2100kg

The EEC kerb weight is unladen wt + full fuel + 75kg driver so I guess you can knock 75kg off any of those which makes my first answer remarkably accurate ;)

Welcome by the way :)

I have towed dead LR's loads and never had trouble but don't use a dolly with one there very unstable and you have to disconect the props.

You can't tow Auto's that just don't like it. (without disconecting props)

Any good trailer hire place should have one thats capable.

What are you towing the disco with, well it dosn't matter as long as its the same size or bigger that the disco.

Thanks for the info. It is an AUTO so perhaps I should disconnect them then if I have to but I'm sure he said he had a 2 tonne trailer available. I,m towing the disco with a Toyota Hilux Surf so should be ok. Any ideas on the engine (common Prob)?

Shouldn't be a problem with the transfer box in neutral, should it?

No, as long as all the wheels are on the ground. Don't do what the squaddies here do sometimes which is tow them behind a truck, suspended from the front lashing eyes and with the front wheels thrashing wildly in midair :blink: