Drill bits from Triple x Trading Ltd at the LRO show..?

Smego

Difference is that he isn't promoting the company but telling everyone he is taking them to court, also it is on topic and giving updated details of the seller at the centre of this ...... in this case I'm happy to call it a public service warning to all :)

and before you go looking up the website registrar you will find its registered to GODADDY whom if my memory serves me right hosted some questionable websites.

GoDaddy is one of the largest domain registrars, chances are some of the domain names they've sold are for questionable purposes, but this doesn't mean that everyone who uses them is automatically questionable :rolleyes:

• 5 weeks later...

I thought it was about time I come on here and faced you all,as after reading some of what I have just read I'm suppose to be hiding.

We stand at the same shows year after year and get very few complaints.In fact I stood at the Ideal Home Show in March and apart from changing a few drill bits we never had more than a handful of people who had a complaint who all walked away from the stand happy.We have stood on the same stand there for 5 years in a prominent position and sold at that show for a lot longer.we sell a lot of drill bits and 95% of people are very happy with them, I stand by that no matter what anyone on here thinks.If I get an email from someone who's not happy,as long as it's within reasonable time I'm happy to refund them as I don't want unhappy customers.

These forums are unfair as why would you search for or post on a forum if your happy with a hole you have drilled? You wouldn't.

As for the website address ect www.drillalldrillbits.com has been running alongside www.triplextrading.co.uk for quite a while,I just decided there was no need to run the 2 and didn't pay the hosting fees.I except the comments about the English on the website not being the best and it probably isn't on this message,I hold my hands up to that and it's something I have been working on although I struggle to see what that has to do with the quality of our drill bits.

We have improved the drill bits over the years and what we have at the moment is in my view the best product we have had.All drill bits used in demonstrations are taken out of boxes,in fact we quite often take them out of the boxes during a demonstration so anyone doubting this can see.

In all the years selling these,I have never heard from Trading Standards as this is a good product,you can put just about any product into Google and find bad reviews.That said if anyone from Trading Standards wishes to contact me,I'm happy to address any problems anyone might have.

Sorry to read people on here aren't happy,but if there is anyone with a problem still they are more than welcome to contact me either at a show or as has already been posted on here

Terry Hilder

triplextrading@gmx.com

Sorry Terry but from personal experience of you and your products, I beg to differ! I still have all the E-mail exchanges we had too.

If your product has indeed recently improved beyond all recognition I would be happy to test a sample box and give an updated and honest review...?

I felt so stupid that I'd fallen for it - that I thought it best not to mention it to anyone and chalk it up to experience!

I could have come and complained at a show - but I'd be advertising to everyone else that I'm an idiot! Better to use the fact that you go to the same shows to remind me that if it looks too good to be true........

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a set a Billing last year. Looked impressive on the stand, but first time out one broke in the pillar drill. Finished job with a colbalt bit from Toolstation. Tried another on something else and the end came off....................

I thought the £4.95 charge to return them was unreasonable, and in any case doubted that I would ever see the drills or my money again...............The old "must have got lost in the post" get out of jail scot free standard. Or dont respond to anything, and the customer will give up and go away.

Very annoyed at being taken in, so I took the whole set to Peterborough on the offchance he would be there, and sure enough he was ! Didnt want to refund me but replaced the broken ones OK.

Tried to drill some stainless on Saturday and same again. Hopeless. SO. I will take them to the shows again this year and once again try to get a refund on the whole lot. No doubt will be refused again, probably on the grounds of no proof of purchase, but as there are no reciepts given and its all cash, I doubt if anyone else has either.

Do yourself a favour................DONT buy them.

At the end of the day - you can achieve the same results with standard, cheap off the shelf bits. If you want to drill something hard (like a file) (why the hell would you want to drill a hole in a file?), a Masonry bit works fine. Likewise with surface hardened materials. Most other things, including tough steel, slow the drill RPM right down and use lubricant. I've not found anything (yet) that I've not been able to drill.

You have to accept that the drill will go blunt - but if you learn to re-sharpen them, that's not a problem.

'High tech' bits such as Cobalt or Carbide hold their edge longer - but when they go blunt, unless you have a diamond wheel, they go in the bin. You can run them faster without them burning out - and I think that's a lot of the reason people like them. The biggest problem most people suffer is nothing to do with the bit, it's that they are running it too fast!

I have a cheap 'plaster mixing' drill which is great for hole saws and big bits which will run as slowly as 60rpm.

There was a thread on here a while back about drilling & tapping 8274 Main Shafts - this being one of the most difficult drilling jobs in this 'world'. I acquired a broken shaft and tried it. It is surface hardened - so I used a masonry bit to break the surface (no more than a couple of mm). The Masonry bit was a couple of mm bigger than the hole required to tap M8. The steel inside was tough - so used a standard bit at about 100 rpm (on a lathe) with lots of pressure and lubricant. To tap the hole, I just used a standard spiral flute tap - again with plenty of care & lube. Not a quick process and not one you can do in situ - but nothing special! Now, however, I'd just buy one of the Delta-tek shafts as it costs less than the time to tap the original!

Si

Well said Simon

When I worked at Catterick 31 Command REME. We up-gunned some Centurian tanks. The turret needed drilling. There was a special drill stand wher studs were welded to the turret to hold a drill stand. The drill stand was a ratchet like thing. Very slow that also pushed the drill bit into the turret. I don't remember using any special drill bit.

Those old hand bench or pillar drills with a feed wheel at the top ase very good for hard metals. They will allow you to drill a leaf spring because the drill bit is turned so slow with plenty of weight on the bit.

All I've used for our trailer build has been normal Dormer drill bits.

Again true Simon. I would like all my drills to run slower.

Smallfry, take them to the next show I will guarantee there will be enough muscle around to help persuad your refund, not that I imaging you will have much issue, Terry eventually refunded my return postage as well, isn't that right Terry you would be more than happy to refund IN FULL to keep the peace?

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

At the end of the day - you can achieve the same results with standard, cheap off the shelf bits. If you want to drill something hard (like a file) (why the hell would you want to drill a hole in a file?), a Masonry bit works fine. Likewise with surface hardened materials. Most other things, including tough steel, slow the drill RPM right down and use lubricant. I've not found anything (yet) that I've not been able to drill.

You have to accept that the drill will go blunt - but if you learn to re-sharpen them, that's not a problem.

'High tech' bits such as Cobalt or Carbide hold their edge longer - but when they go blunt, unless you have a diamond wheel, they go in the bin. You can run them faster without them burning out - and I think that's a lot of the reason people like them. The biggest problem most people suffer is nothing to do with the bit, it's that they are running it too fast!

I have a cheap 'plaster mixing' drill which is great for hole saws and big bits which will run as slowly as 60rpm.

There was a thread on here a while back about drilling & tapping 8274 Main Shafts - this being one of the most difficult drilling jobs in this 'world'. I acquired a broken shaft and tried it. It is surface hardened - so I used a masonry bit to break the surface (no more than a couple of mm). The Masonry bit was a couple of mm bigger than the hole required to tap M8. The steel inside was tough - so used a standard bit at about 100 rpm (on a lathe) with lots of pressure and lubricant. To tap the hole, I just used a standard spiral flute tap - again with plenty of care & lube. Not a quick process and not one you can do in situ - but nothing special! Now, however, I'd just buy one of the Delta-tek shafts as it costs less than the time to tap the original!

Si

If you want to drill a hardened steel with a standard HSS twist drill, i find increasing the angle from 118deg to around 130? (i jsut eyeball it) and then increase the "tail off" (is that the right word) you can drill through just fine, as a matter of course after drilling anything hard ill always just tickle the cuttung edge again to sharpen it back up after.

cheap drill bits can be sharpened. often the cheaper ones are better if you sharpen them than they are with the "factory" cut edge on them. and if you treat them right should stay fairly sharp :) although nothing better than a free supply ;)

• 7 years later...
  • 10 months later...

I bought a set from this guy at this years Bath and West show in Shepton Mallet. 

The first time I used them today on soft ish metals (steel and Brass) the bits shredded and are useless. 

This appears to be a scam but he is there every year so I will be patient and surprise him next year. I am not going to pay to return faulty goods. Rip off city!

'Avoid like the plague' would be my advice based on my experience!!

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I bought this drill bits set on 14th January 2023 from Farnborough Home Show for £50 and is a complete rip-off. I don't understand how can the organizers allowed him anywhere near Farnborough Home Show. This man has no shame at all, and his name is Kevin Hilder. I email him today and waiting for his reply. Any advice to recover my £50 please let me know. Thanks

I find drill bits to be one of those items it isn't productive to skimp on.  I find cheaper ones either blunt or chip. Some tend to be so sharp they snatch which chips or breaks them.

I find a good way to keep a drill bit in a good state is to use it in a battery drill and pulse it's use so it doesn't go to fast or get too hot. I use a lubricant and often use a bottle top full of oil to dip the tip into. This lubricates and cools it.