Cheap half shafts - any good?

http://www.lrdirect.com/FTC1724-Halfshaft-110-Rear-Rh-Disc-Brake/

Half shafts can be got for just under £20 for the cheapest Britpart or Brearmach followed by the slightly more expensive All-Makes. Britpart also sell a OEM version at 4x the price.

For completeness sake we can add the LR ones at around 250+vat and the ashcrofts ones at like 350+vat.

But with regards the the cheaper ones, are they the same quality as each other? Are they the same quality as standard?

I don't condone buying S**tPart stuff in any way shape or for as most of it is made out of cheese, but for £20 with a 2 year warranty I would almost be tempted as a half shaft is something that is easy to remove and replace.

As long as you don't mind rectifying any additional damage that it will cause to your diff, axle casing, hubs and bearings when it does fail, I would give it a go*.

*When I say I give it a go, I probably wouldn't.

I don't condone buying S**tPart stuff in any way shape or for as most of it is made out of cheese, but for £20 with a 2 year warranty I would almost be tempted as a half shaft is something that is easy to remove and replace

I'm with OH on this one, reluctantly bought a Shi****t one five years ago as a new one from LR was £350, been fine ever since.

The thread's title reads;

Cheap half shafts - any good?

The simple answer to that question is NO!

Or you will end up like this some where's on a trail having to remove halfshafts.

I learned my lesson, Ashcroft installed.

post-194-0-93991700-1408526855_thumb.jpg

Todd.

The shafts would be for the back of my 110 - just to kill a bit of play. The original ones aren't broken, just worn. I'm afraid if I buy second hand ones they will be worn too.

The 110 is doing some easier tracks but mostly serves as tow truck for my off road truck - that one has 80 series axles with Longfields.

I have learned my lesson long time ago with regards to ****part but I might still be inclined to get the Bearmach or All-Makes shafts.

Shafts are not Shafts

There is quite a lot of technology in the differences

1. metal "Grade"

Not all metals are the same, and oddly enough better quality metals are more expensive

2. There is Tough metal, there is strong metal, there is a difference, some can be strong and shear some can be tough and shatter, and vica versa

3. which is where transissional heattreatments and other tweaks come in

However, ashcroft do actually state what theres are made from (4340 or if you have deeper pockers M300 !)

and even have tested against other stuff :

post-22-0-78754300-1408544138_thumb.jpg

Its really quite simple.

If you are breaking stuff all the time, look at either what is fitted / Upgrade / learn to control right foot. Vs if your off road is tesco in a disco shod with 235 85 16 muds then cheap will do fine, and 35" simex in a full blown challenge event - they defo will not be

Nige

I've got good cheap spanners, and bad cheap spanners. It's just luck, because the quality control isn't there. When you see OE's make half shafts, you see why they can be £20 each. The induction hardening is a process to behold :) But that's pretty well controlled due to volume. I don't know what I'd buy for my transit (Salisbury as well) if it needed one, but I've seen half shaft take the bearing adjustment nut out, so I'd be scared of anything too cheap. I suppose we should be glad we have a few choices :)

I will be going ashcroft as long as I can get an ashcroft air locker. Not too soon as I need to save a bit to get it all in a oner. I have just had to fit another diff and long shaft, only way I go for that to keep price down is to get secondhand parts. I happened across a complete rear axle for £30. :)