Storage drawer build..

Right, having been inspired by Mo & Mark finishing their projects already, I have been galvanised into a couple of days of hectic drawer building!

Thought you might like to see how mine has turned out so far.

I have built the storage chest to the right hand side of the drawer, but still have to cut out the lid bit from the covering.

The Chest:

post-3030-1207593891_thumb.jpg

I have built a drawer & frame to hold it & fitted B&Q 600mm full extension runners, rated at 45kg.

Frame:

post-3030-1207594079_thumb.jpg

It is manufactured from 12mm Birch Ply throughout.

The drawer:

post-3030-1207594262_thumb.jpg

This is what they look like in the vehicle in place:

post-3030-1207594368_thumb.jpg

And, finally this what they look like with the tops in place & the drawer functioning:

post-3030-1207594472_thumb.jpg

I did manage to slap a coat of blackboard paint on it earlier, but my camera battery died so couldn't take pictures.

All I have left to do now, is cut out the lids for the chest, drill holes to mount the tops to each unit & then lay carpet tiles all over the top.

Its turned out, really really well I think.....dead chuffed with myself! :rolleyes:

Pete, the cost has been quite a bit......only because, due to lack of workshop/garage space, I dont really own any tools (apart from a few minor bits..no power tools) so I have had to buy everything I need for this project (Jigsaw, Sander, drill etc) plus a few minor little tools.

The raw materials were not that much I think, although I have never bought things like this before as this is my first attempt at making anything noteworthy.

The Birch ply was £40 a sheet (8x4) & I needed 2 sheets. I paid the timber merchant to cut all the bits up for me as it would be straighter than I could do sitting on the driveway & resting on the Defenders bumper (which is how I made everything), so the wood came to £105. The runners were £13 & I used about 27000 screws.

The net in the back came from Devon 4x4, see HERE...and that was something I made myself too.

The glue is No More Nails Ultra (a glue & sealant) which I used to hold battens in place (thanks for telling me what a batten is Mo!!!) and I just smeared some around all the joints & edges too.

Matin

Bravo Martin ! Looks better than mine Put your feet up and pat yourself on the back

Mo

Thank you Mo. Im really proud of myself....this is the first proper thing I have ever made myself, and Im so happy that it has come out EXACTLY as I designed & envisaged. There are a few "blemishes" in the work though. The drawer is not perfectly smooth when I shut it. I think that one of the 8x4 sheets was slighly warped and typically, the biggest part of the warp is on the bits holding the drawer runners in place. However, I think I can see where it is catching (only slightly, mind you) so I may just go over the area with a small round rasp. It is by no means a perfect job, but it is very good, even if I do say so myself!!

I have my feet up as I type now, and have patted myself on the back already.....and rewarded myself with all the ciggies in that pack of Marlboro's in the picture. :rolleyes:

Ill keep you up to date when the job is 100% complete.

Martin

Right, cut out the lids for the storage chest part. Slowly coming together!

post-3030-1208081133_thumb.jpg

This is what it looks like all packed away:

post-3030-1208081206_thumb.jpg

Made a few minor tuning adjustments....ran a rasp over the small areas where the runners were catching & took a bit of material off from where the drawer edge was catching the top (slightly due to warpage, slightly due to me not measuring 100% accurately)

Just need to install a paddle latch, then its just finishing touches to make it look pretty.

Cant be bothered doing more today.....had a rather lovely bottle of Pinotage last night & paying the price today, dont want to make a silly mistake when all is going well!!

Martin

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Now I've finally done about 90% of the build in the back of my 90, I thought it would be a good idea to post my take on storage.

I've not gone for the drawer idea, why you ask, having done a drawer build before on a 110 before I found I used a lot more wood and stuff and it weighed more than I liked it to do. Having a 90 with a roof tent, spare wheel carrier, hi-lift, etc. I wanted to reduce the weight. So I gone for a frame idea to hold the Jerry cans and pull out cooker, the rest of the area will be used to hold storage boxes that I can leave at home when I'm not using it for fun stuff.

Pictures are in my gallery, under New Builds. (Hopefully it can be seen by anyone)

• 11 months later...