Rear propshaft

COLVERT

If i remove the rear propshaft of my freelander does she still move

It'll drive no problem at all. Under normal conditions the drive in a Freelander is split 90%/10% front/back so it's nearly front wheel drive anyway :blink::D

I know a few folks who have run FL's in this condition for extended periods -- myself included after wrecking the viscous coupling off-road :o:lol:

viscous1.jpg

The only thing you might notice is a slight improvement in fuel consumption. It shouldn't make any difference at all to tyre wear UNLESS you've got a very early Freelander with the slightly incorrect IRD/read diff ratios which was renowed for causing castellation of the rear tyres. This was corrected quite early in production with IIRC a slight change to the rear diff ratio.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Any of you guys have a freelander prop going spare? I am after one for a slightly different (but landrover related) application.

Thanks in advance.

Daan

Are all the propshafts in the bin? Or are you guys hanging on to it? I am after a complete propshaft and viscous coupling to build a prop for my PTO winch. The prop and viscous coupling can be completely knackered, as I will be chopping/changing/bodging them to suit.

Regards, Daan

• 1 month later...
It'll drive no problem at all. Under normal conditions the drive in a Freelander is split 90%/10% front/back so it's nearly front wheel drive anyway :blink::D

I know a few folks who have run FL's in this condition for extended periods -- myself included after wrecking the viscous coupling off-road :o:lol:

viscous1.jpg

The only thing you might notice is a slight improvement in fuel consumption. It shouldn't make any difference at all to tyre wear UNLESS you've got a very early Freelander with the slightly incorrect IRD/read diff ratios which was renowed for causing castellation of the rear tyres. This was corrected quite early in production with IIRC a slight change to the rear diff ratio.

You Animal. :lol:

even I have not managed to shashed one of those up that bad.

The IRD is a liability with everything inplace

remove a prop I'm of the opinion it will fail very soon afterwards.only an opinion as I wouldn't buy another Freelander ever.

crappy weakass car

Very wise completely justifiable and unbiased view's of a Moderator

We drove our ex-Jules Freelander in FWD only for about a week whilst we waitied to replace a few transmission parts. It handled like a dog, really noticable, but possibly due to the extra weight/distribution.

In my mind, the negliable saving in wear and fuel would not be justifed in loosing the peace of mind you have when driving a comfortable, well handling 4x4.

Cheers

Blippie

I am now the lucky owner of a freelander propshaft with viscous. Does anyone know how the bearing of the viscous are supposed to come off? I reverted to the largest ITD (impact technology device-hammer) I have, but I completely mullerd the rubber surrounds, but the bearing looks its needs 20 tons of presure to get it of. Am I missing something?

Daan

I have recently replaced both bearings on mine, and they only needed tapping with a normal hammer.

I presume you have got the joints off?

I found that I needed to tap the very bottom of the bearings, close to the shaft, with a hammer and a blunt cold chisel, moving around the bearing. They were tight at first, but soon "let go"

There have been reports that some have had to use a hydraulic press to remove them, though.

"Well handling" says the man whose avatar is a Freelander parked in a ditch :hysterical:
:hysterical:

I would have replied sooner. But I've only just been discharged from hospital ... After shooting myself in the foot!!!!!

Cheers

Blippie