TD5 vibration under load @ +50MPH

gadget

• 3 weeks later...

I've been under the Discovery again today, hoping that something would be showing itself. No :(

There's no play in either diff pinion/flange. Transfer box outputs are fine. Props and UJs are still fine.

No obvious leaks or weeps from anywhere. Except for the bloody crankcase cover seal *mutter*

• 6 months later...

I'm pleased to say that the fault has been located and resolved.

My Discovery is now as quiet as it was when it was new :D

I've had this droning noise for a couple of years and i've been waiting for the faulty part to make itself known.

When checking things this time around one front wheel bearing and one rear wheel bearing felt just a little rough.

No play or anything that would immediately suggest a faulty wheel bearing, but there was a subtle difference felt on two bearings when rotating the wheels.

New hubs fitted and the drone is completely gone! :D

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd chime in here, mine's had this ever since I've owned it, and I've done ~60k in that time.

Changed the following:

Autobox (Chewed the old one)

Transfer Box (Got one cheap, to rule it out)

Front & Rear Props (Rear to remove the Donut)

Rear Diff (Upgrade for Quaife ATB)

I keep getting ABS errors, so I'm leaning more towards a hub being the cause.

• 2 years later...

I have had this same problem for 4 months, my handbrake cable broke this weekend, after replacing it the mechanic mentioned it was catching on something (not being a mechanic I don't know what). But miraculously the noise has gone. BTW I had spent a few hundred trying to diagnose it.