Unusual Land Rover Engine Transplants

I put a york 6 diesel in a rangerover some years ago and wished i had,nt not the best

I had the same in mine. Once I sorted the starting it was quite a good lump following a complete rebuild. I liked it. Timing belt was the weak point for me though. I think I remember seeing your Range Rover, also dunroving's V12 Jag engine.

I put a york 6 diesel in a rangerover some years ago and wished i had,nt not the best

HA HA !!! I had one of them in my old RRC What a total nightmare to start on cold days, 1 small pre heater in the inlet manifold trying to start 6 cyl :angry: Ran it for about 6 months, and then the water pump went and cooked it beyond repair! it Just turned a nice Rangie in to tractor! so popped a V8 back in, Happy days :P

Ian

Snap! I did this back in the mid 1980's when the only other easily obtained engines

were Perkins 4/203 & 4/236 which would pull anything, but were low revving.

I found the Ford to be satisfactory for power/speed, but a heavy lump which required

heavy duty rear springs on the front to make the RR. sit level. Had a distinct

tendency to want to go straight on, in snow/ice/mud due to the front end weight.

I put the V8 back in after a year.

HA HA !!! I had one of them in my old RRC What a total nightmare to start on cold days, 1 small pre heater in the inlet manifold trying to start 6 cyl :angry: Ran it for about 6 months, and then the water pump went and cooked it beyond repair! it Just turned a nice Rangie in to tractor! so popped a V8 back in, Happy days :P

Ian

Had a bad name for cold starting, certainly. A man in the transport business pointed

me towards the cold start system he had on his Seddon Atkinsons. A piped in cannister

of an easy start type gas, with a measuring chamber (various sizes to suit engine

capacity)Pull the knob to charge the chamber,push knob in while cranking engine.

Started first time everytime!

Yes mine had an easy start addiction! Used cans of the stuff :blink: To bee honest though they had a bad reputation at the time, but once the thing was running it was a joy to drive, and i would have kept it if it had "give up"

worst one was i went to Cherbourg with it on an over night ferry, started it up when we were docking and filled the car deck with white smoke,and i mean filled it to the point you could not see the 3 rows of cars behind :ph34r: needless to say i left rather rappidly (well tried) :P

Over here, it's not that uncommon to put a 4 litre Volvo truck engine in RRCs. First few pics in this thread give you an idea of how it looks: http://slrk.phpbb2.se/board/range-rover-td40-76-projektet-t1060.html

Then, if you can read the rest... :)

I also have a buddy who has put the complete driveline from a Nissan Patrol complete with 6-cyl diesel into a SIII 88"... Sounds like a city bus. :o

I also have a buddy who has put the complete driveline from a Nissan Patrol complete with 6-cyl diesel into a SIII 88"... Sounds like a city bus. :o

I know a chap who did exactly this (SD33 engine). He also used the Patrol axles.

6 pot engines are just so smooth running. This thing just pulled and pulled, superb for towing.

LR used to factory fit 2.8 BMW petrols to South African 90's, Rogers of Bedford used to import them to the UK, a very rare beast.

Beat me to it again :)

Was just gonna say LR offered the BMW lump for export markets :)

The BMW engined Defender was developed in South Africa and the prototypes were to NAS as there was a plan to sell them in USA too. However, they were only fitted to South African assembled Defenders, built at the LR Factory in Rosslyn. They were exported to neighbouring countries, but nowhere outside Southern Africa, except for unofficial channels as mentionned above.

It replaced the V8 from about 1997 and was discontinued when the TD5 was introduced in 1999. No more petrol engined Defenders were made after that. The BMW engine was fitted in all variants of the Defender, except for the 130 and 110 hicap. Even the 110 hardtop and pickup were supplied with it as an option to the 300TDi. A 110 CSW 2.8i is a good long distance tourer and doesn't have too much disadvantage off road, despite the lack of low end torque. Thirsty though.

I put a leyland 4/98 diesel out of a terrier in a 109 , and chrysler hemi in a FC 110 2b, 2L O series in a 86, V8 in series 2 , but after buying my first factory V8 could not be bothered with all the hassle, but with the way petrol is going up am thinking of doing it again .

Have seen the following engines all in the same 90.

Ford 3litre V6,

Jag 4.2 straight six, Went well but had dreadful oil surge on the hills, and heavy!!

Ford Windsor 302, nice transplant,

Chevy 350 small block, Best but was a bit heavy,

Mopar 440, Too heavy and a tight fit!

Then 440 with blower fitted! Went well but was much too heavy!

Rover V8 4.2, Probably the best compromise.

Lara

Have seen the following engines all in the same 90.

Ford Windsor 302, nice transplant,

Lara

Always a good strong reliable engine that can be easily tuned ........... I would have thought that with alloy heads and a possible 350ish ponies the power to weight and durability would have beaten the Rover lump into submission ;)

Many years back I saw a IIA 109 with a Bedford 330 diesel in , I put a 351 olds V8 diesel in a shortened RRC about 20yrs ago which was ok . My personal favourite old skool was the 4236...

A friend had a 60's Dodge 4x4 double cab with a 330 bedford diesel in and that was great , the engine looked tiny in the huge underbonnet area...

cheers

Steveb