Unusual Land Rover Engine Transplants

Have seen the following engines all in the same 90.

Ford 3litre V6,

Jag 4.2 straight six, Went well but had dreadful oil surge on the hills, and heavy!!

Ford Windsor 302, nice transplant,

Chevy 350 small block, Best but was a bit heavy,

Mopar 440, Too heavy and a tight fit!

Then 440 with blower fitted! Went well but was much too heavy!

Rover V8 4.2, Probably the best compromise.

Lara

I bet that went well, must be more than 1000bhp! :)

anyone seen an orange six wheel defender with a gmc v8 diesel in it , 3 sp auto box if I remember,,, it was around here a few years ago , about the same time a somerset guy used to fit 2.8 mitsubishi td engines in to range rovers and discos ,,,,

HA HA !!! I had one of them in my old RRC What a total nightmare to start on cold days, 1 small pre heater in the inlet manifold trying to start 6 cyl :angry:

My solution to the 6 pot York starting was to install 6 long preheaters in the manifold pointing down each inlet towards the valve. Then I added a diesel powered 'flame thrower' in the throttle body. Preheat for 30 seconds and then ignite the flame thrower and then the start button. Worked even in snow! :)

Never needed easy start and sounding like a tractor was the best bit! :D

I like the sound of this

Ahhhhhh, music to my ears! :D you cant beat the sound of a nice big diesel lump.

Nice idea about the pre heat on the York,

Other than the starting problems, i thought it was quite a good set up in my RRC.

I would like to put a V8 diesel in an old Fordson Major i have :P

Maybe one day!

;)

I always prefered diesels that sound like they should have 38 tons+ behind them then ones that sound like italian taxis queuing for a fare. :D

Also 6 inline sounds better as a diesel then V8s like the GMCs. V8s should be petrol really.

Now, I have a workshop manual for a Rolls Royce CV12 and there is a small add in a recent tractor magazine for the same engine....

That would make an interesting conversion! :D

As a slight reversal, I saw a home-made looking boat upstream from Bristol this weekend, with a 200tdi in it... :blink:

Well not so off.....I helped fit 2 200tdis to a ex east german offshore patrol boat. It runs very well and has a distinctive roar at flat out!

H

• 2 months later...

I did have a splitter box to give two outputs, though this is not on the car at the mo since fitting the cummins(no room!)I have designed a twin output transfer box which I may make myself(I own engineering firm)though a company involved with landrovers is interested in the design.

The problems with the ashcroft/ foley unit is the price,use of week rover axles and custom parts in the event of failure.

I did have a splitter box to give two outputs, though this is not on the car at the mo since fitting the cummins(no room!)I have designed a twin output transfer box which I may make myself(I own engineering firm)though a company involved with landrovers is interested in the design.

The problems with the ashcroft/ foley unit is the price,use of week rover axles and custom parts in the event of failure.

Excellent!

Do you have photos that you can post? It would be good to see a thread on your conversion.

The P38 DT R380 bellhousing is the same part number as the 2.8i Defender, so that would be a fair starting point.

The complete P38 gearbox however probably wouldnt work too well in a 90, so you'd likely have to swap the input shaft and bellhousing over into a 90 box.

You'd then need to work out what landrover did for the clutch/flywheel etc. Again P38 DT bits might fit, but you'd have to compare the parts with whats fitted to the M50/52 engine as standard to see if they'd work. For example, the trigger ring for the engine management might be on the flywheel, and it might be different between the petrol and diesel engines.

I may do a thread if people are interested, have tried on a "clique" forum,but it got ignored while they patted each other on the backs for riveting on a bit of cheq plate. :(

I always enjoy seeing other peoples' innovation. Can't wait to see what you've been making.