Soaking wet boot toolbox well

02920al

Hi all, my 05 freelander has a soaking wet toolbox well in the boot. Is it condensation? The boot carpet itself is dry, but the carpet in the well is really wet. I thought leak at first, but the rest of the boot is perfectly dry!

Stumped! Any ideas?

Thanks......

Common problem, I believe, and my remedy was simply to drill a couple of holes in the lowest points of the toolbox (through the carpet and through the metal skin below) and allow the water to drain out. I assume the water was coming in around the top of the tailgate window, but I never really wanted to investigate that area once I realised how rusty it was!

• 2 weeks later...

Most leak from tail door glass to seal area

Some leak at the l/h middle seal distorts look for water marks where it's running in

Water will find the lowers point

But yes the easyist and cheapest is poke a screw driver the through the carpet and if u look under car there is a body seal ( round grommet ) in the floor of the cubby box slide a flat blade screwdriver in the edge and will let water out

Done this many times for owners

Will dry out but if u prop the box lid up will dry lot quicker

I had this problem, the proverbial swimming pool in the cubby box, I cut the carpet from the bottom of the box and drilled a 8mm

hole in what appeared to be the obvious place towards the nearside.

Condensation problems not totally gone but its a hell of a lot better

I had the same issue, and as has been mentioned, the easiest solution was to drill some holes. I tried to track the leak, and I believe it was coming from the seal at the top of the tailgate, but decided it was too much trouble to remove and replace the seal.

• 2 months later...

They often leak round the tailgate glass. Brobably not enough tension on the seal. The glass tension can be adjusted by removing the inner door card. There are 2 adjusterable screws low down on each side of the window regulator. ( regulator mounting bolts). Adjust so the glass touches the seal on the first click of the tailgate. When the door is fully closed it pre loads the glass and makes a good seal.

Some of the wetness is due to leaks round the lights. Rather more of it is due to condensation from the humid air inside the car.

You breathe-out a couple of litres of wet per day!

Even if you seal all the leaks the damp air inside [from your breathing] will always condense on the coldest bits. This is why your aircon needs to be used whatever the weather - it dries the incoming air and the dried air displaces the damp air you've breathed-out, so it can't condense in closed/low-air-flow spaces and leave dampness.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi all, my 05 freelander has a soaking wet toolbox well in the boot. Is it condensation? The boot carpet itself is dry, but the carpet in the well is really wet. I thought leak at first, but the rest of the boot is perfectly dry!

Stumped! Any ideas?

Thanks......

hi 02920al same with me ,think its the heat from exhaust pipe and the tool box is shut, hence condensation ive placed i strip of wood to keep the lid open the tool box is now completly dry. jackabo

• 5 months later...

Hi I have recently discovered the wet boot compartment in my freelander was caused by water coming over the bottom of the tailgate seal. I assume it was runing down between the seal and door as you coud see it collecing on top of the seal when the door was opened. I removed the plastic trim covering the rear part of the seal and noticed it was quite wet underneath. Problem solved by cleaning the seal and underside of the plastic trim incliding the curved bits in the corners, applying a large bead of black mastic to the underside rear of the plasric trim and replacing it. Water has now got a large step to stop it coming in. The car was parked outside in stong einds and driving rain and the floor was totaly dry.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem, but the water was getting In through the seal on the removable roof portion of my 3door Freelander. I replaced the rubber gasket round the edge of the removable roof and there have been no problems with it since. Sorted. I hope you have found what QS. Causing your leak. :-)