defender 110 dashboard upgrade -2003 to 2007-

this thread covers re-mapping the instrument console

instruments

this one re-mapping console switches

console

there is another link to reedx (i think) that the guys will post up im sure, this shows you how one chap did this. i have just upgraded my 2001 dash to 2002+ dash and am about to install new after market guages. any questions just ask

• 4 weeks later...

this thread covers re-mapping the instrument console

instruments

this one re-mapping console switches

console

there is another link to reedx (i think) that the guys will post up im sure, this shows you how one chap did this. i have just upgraded my 2001 dash to 2002+ dash and am about to install new after market guages. any questions just ask

thanks but I've fitted that dashboard. Now I got Puma dash, and want to fit that one:)

mine is 1987 model ex millitary:)

it's not very easy here in Turkey to sell and buy a Puma defender

here it is:

24062011233large.jpg

and when I owned it, it was like this:

dscf0516large.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

there are the dashboard parts I have;

05072011259large.jpg

By oceanrunner1905 at 2011-07-05

05072011258large.jpg

05072011257large.jpg

05072011256large.jpg

05072011255large.jpg

05072011254large.jpg

Wow! That's quite a transformation. Well done.

I would imagine the Defender parts catalogue will be your best friend to help figure out what parts to use. I'm sure there'll be plenty of modifications to do along the way.

Gettings the instruments working will be quite a challenge I'm sure. Maybe the guys on here who have figured out the Td5 dash electronics will be able to help.

Getting the instruments to work could be 'fun'. It'll be doable, everything is doable, but at different levels of difficulty!

Fitting the dash, and wiring up most of the switchgear (lights etc.) will likely be comparatively straightforward. A case of fishing out the wiring diagrams for the 2007MY Defender and working out where to patch it into your vehicle loom. I would imagine the instruments, or some of them, will be on a CANBUS system, so integrating it into your Td5 won't be that simple. I would start with looking at the wiring diagrams for the instruments and seeing where the feeds come from for the gauges etc, then go from there.

There won't be much help out there as I doubt many people have done such a conversion! I'm sure I read of someone doing it somewhere, but they didn't use the Tdci instruments, instead replacing them with aftermarket ones. I believe the instruments for the Tdci came out of the Discovery 3.

Good luck anyway :)

Aside from the electrics the Puma bulkhead is different so you'd have to fabricate the required mounts and lose your front bulkhead vents.

I'd advise that it is more trouble than it's worth.

Getting the instruments to work could be 'fun'. It'll be doable, everything is doable, but at different levels of difficulty!

Fitting the dash, and wiring up most of the switchgear (lights etc.) will likely be comparatively straightforward. A case of fishing out the wiring diagrams for the 2007MY Defender and working out where to patch it into your vehicle loom. I would imagine the instruments, or some of them, will be on a CANBUS system, so integrating it into your Td5 won't be that simple. I would start with looking at the wiring diagrams for the instruments and seeing where the feeds come from for the gauges etc, then go from there.

There won't be much help out there as I doubt many people have done such a conversion! I'm sure I read of someone doing it somewhere, but they didn't use the Tdci instruments, instead replacing them with aftermarket ones. I believe the instruments for the Tdci came out of the Discovery 3.

Good luck anyway :)

I was readng you website about installing td5 intruments and just preparing to email you about that:)

• 3 months later...
Aside from the electrics the Puma bulkhead is different so you'd have to fabricate the required mounts and lose your front bulkhead vents.

I'd advise that it is more trouble than it's worth.

I really want this swap so much-)

• 5 months later...

Did you do any good with this conversion .

Me and my son am having a go at this conversion I am on holiday with me laptop with the wiring diagrams on iPad with Internet connection and my note book writing things down its looking do able at the moment fingers crossed.

Phil

Worst case scenario, take the gauges apart and create an interface board that drives the gauge stepper motor directly depending on the various inputs being fed into it.

FridgeFreezer was trying something similar a while back with his 109". Okay so the gauges are different but the principle would be exactly the same.

• 7 months later...