Where does this pipe connect to?

Mew

Hi to all, new to this forum and Freelanders so hope someone can help?

I have a Freelander 1 2004 TD4.

Did my first big trip last weekend, 600 miles mostly motorway. Towards the end she started to sound as though she was missfiring at low revs, seemed to pull away and accelerate ok before this.

Starting became difficult, took 3 times mostly and blue smoke from exhaust.

Looking on the forums it seemed like it may be the PCV, so I took that off today, it is the pre BMW version. Gave it a clean up and will order a new modified one tomorrow.

While taking the covers off I noticed a pipe hanging loose and a metal pipe nearby at the back of the engine. I connected them together and the engine does seem to run better. I have attached a photo and would like confirmation the two pipes should go together?

Thanks in advance for any help.

post-111081-0-36227600-1454002294_thumb.jpeg

They probably shouldn't be connected, the one with the filter is the breather for the vacuum control for the turbo, if you block it you'll force the turbo geometry to be very wrong and likely upset the ECU if not damage something. The other may well be another breather, such as gearbox, and you really don't want to be sucking the oil out of the gearbox through the turbo actuator...

Thanks for replying Fridge freezer, I did find a ref in 'another forum' to this pipe and it should be open, so I disconnected it this morning. Still got my misfire but now got an original filter kit for the crankcase breather which I will fit tomorrow. Went to my local BMW dealer and he wanted 68 pounds for a modified pcv!

Cheers Mew.

OK, so an update on this problem.

1. Replaced the PCV filter and gave the housing a good clean out and fitted back.

2. Took the ERG off and gave it a good clean.

3. Checked the airflow connector, no sign of corrosion.

Started engine up, a bit of blue smoke but I was expecting that, misfire still there.

Wondered if I had some bad fuel, last filled up with Tesco 97.7p a litre stuff and now 1/4 full, so filled up with non supermarket fuel and added a bottle of Redex.

Took it for a longish run.

It will run well at 40 to 60mph and not feel sluggish.

At low revs and low gear accelerating it sounds 'rattily' like an old diesel engine. Also note it does not rattle as much when it is cold.

One thing that is confusing me is the temperature gauge which sits at about 1/4 to a 1/3rd when hot and driving, if I stop and leave the engine running it will move to 1/2 way, rev the engine and it still misfires but if I drive off the engine sounds better until the gauge drops again.

Last week on a 200 mile trip before all this started happening the gauge dropped to almost cold, recovering slightly if I turned the interior heater off.

I have also noticed that the engine heater stays on then the engine should be up to temperature, I would have thought it would turn off when it had done it's job to save fuel?

Running out of ideas apart from checking the electrical connectors on the injectors but that's a job for tomorrow.

Any comments very welcome and sorry for the long post.

If the temperature is doing odd things I'd be looking at the cooling system... has it got coolant, is it circulating OK, is the gauge & sender working, that sort of thing.

General TD4 running issues have been covered here numerous times, a read back down the forum will reveal all the regular stuff like fuel pumps & filters, airflow meters, hoses and pipes, etc. that can be checked.