Transmission bellhousing patterns?

Blaster Bob

Hello folks,

I'm considering buying a 2002 Freelander from my parents. It was originally bought for my sister to take to college. Unfortunately it's treated them like a Freelander and they now want it gone. Among a multitude of other problems, the engine sometimes flares on a 2-3 upshift, which makes me think that the third gear clutch pack is on it's way out. It has 45,000 miles on it.

I have a very specific purpose in mind for the vehicle that will result in it seldomly being driven, so I think this problem will take a very long time to come to a head, but I'm curious if information on bellhousing bolt patterns and output shaft spline configurations is available. I think the performance of the auto transaxle is pretty awful, and if it finally craps out, I'd love to just slap a manual one in there. The truck is miserably slow, and I suspect the transmission efficiency is to blame. I understand that European models were sold with manual transmissions, but only with I4 engines, and nothing but V6 automatics were brought stateside. I'm not clear on whether or not manual transaxles were compatible with the AWD system, either.

tl;dr - Is there in existence a manual transmission that will bolt up to a Rover KV6, and will the computer absolutely lose its mind over this if I try it?