Rusty tank cradle

Ulltand

Hello!

Just bought a nice freelander from -00 with the 1,8 engine. Noticed that the tank cradle is very rusty. Is it suporting the fuel tank or more like a physical protection? Any ideas on what it will cost to replace? /Thanks

I struggled to give away a Freelander tank, pump, and cradle so doubt it would cost much 2nd hand. Yes it does hold the tank in though!

Thanks, thats what i was worried about :/ Corrosion look pretty bad. Will do some test drilling in the steel tubes to find out if its any metal left in there. Apart from that its very litte rust under :-)

The cradle is a well known rot-spot however it is very important so don't skimp if it needs replacement.

I had the cradle replaced on my wife's 2006 TD4 18-months ago. Had to buy a genuine cradle (no aftermarket ones available and even then we had to wait while a new batch of genuine ones were made) and for fitting I decided to put it into my local garage (I usually do all repairs / maintenance but he only charged £50 for fitting so it was a no-brainer). All I did was make sure that the new cradle was well painted & rust-proofed before fitting.

I cut the old cradle up before scrapping, the tubes were still in fairly good condition (they were very rusty on the outside but quite thick steel with no rot inside) but all the plate-work was gone.

The cradle is a well known rot-spot however it is very important so don't skimp if it needs replacement.

I had the cradle replaced on my wife's 2006 TD4 18-months ago. Had to buy a genuine cradle (no aftermarket ones available and even then we had to wait while a new batch of genuine ones were made) and for fitting I decided to put it into my local garage (I usually do all repairs / maintenance but he only charged £50 for fitting so it was a no-brainer). All I did was make sure that the new cradle was well painted & rust-proofed before fitting.

I cut the old cradle up before scrapping, the tubes were still in fairly good condition (they were very rusty on the outside but quite thick steel with no rot inside) but all the plate-work was gone.

Thanks a lot, great knowledge in here :-) I will see if its possible to clean and protect whats left of it.